Temperature for outside?

KieranAmy

Location (City and/or State)
County Durham
I live in the uk and ide love for my tortoise to be out in the garden. But as the winter months are coming it’s sitting around 10-15 Celsius. Would this temperature still be okay to allow the tortoise to go outside? Or should I keep him inside?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
As usual, a lot depends.

Do you have a nice walled in stone garden that stops the chilly wind at ground level? Is there a nice sunny area (when it is sunny out)? Do you have an enclosure that your tort will be in when you do take it out on a sunny day? Ground level, warmed by the sun can be much warmer than the reported air temp in a given area.

So, your temps are not too cold IF you have the proper set-up outside.

Good luck.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
15C is just under what the night temps can go down too for a Mediterranean species. Too cold for any other species.
They get too cold they will want to hibernate if it's a species that does so. If the sun is out and the tort can warm up into the 70's then it would be okay as long as he can bask under 95-100 temps once he is back inside.
Safer would be keep him in for the cold months.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in the uk and ide love for my tortoise to be out in the garden. But as the winter months are coming it’s sitting around 10-15 Celsius. Would this temperature still be okay to allow the tortoise to go outside? Or should I keep him inside?
Read this. In it I explain how to house them in such a way that they can still function in cooler weather and be protected: