teaching babies to graze on grass ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dar64

5 Year Member
I put my 4 babies ( I guess around 3 months old) outside in their protected enclosure during the day. They are on grass. How can I teach them to start grazing or is it too early for that. I put them out with their mixed greens. Should I limit the greens at this point? I don't want them to become weak. If its too early at what age do they start grazing.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
If you give them the greens also, they will eat that first. Give them some greens as usual, but decrease the amount over time so when they are still hungry they will eat the grass.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I don't know if this helps you at all, but this is a quote from Tom. I was also discussing "weaning" my tortoise (babcocki) onto grass.

"A lot of the books say they eat a lot of grass, and technically "leopard tortoises" do eat a lot of grass. But here's the thing: South African leopards, the pardalis subspecies, DO eat a lot of grass and their diet is more like a sulcata. The normal, more common leopards, the babcocki subspecies, don't eat as much grass or hay. No harm if they nibble on it, but its not their norm."

I guess my point is, what species do you have?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Both types will not eat grass regularly at a young age. There is a case study that shows some wild populations of leopard tortoises' consume very little grass and eat more succulents and forbes.

They may nibble at it, but they typically won't eat it regularly until they are sub adults.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Totally agree with Neal. I went through the same thing when my Leo was little. He is over two now and still doesn't really eat it. I might find a piece in his mouth, but it got there while he was trying to eat some good weeds.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neal is the one who originally posted the study on wild leopards that I was paraphrasing in that other post. The findings in the study mirror my own experience with both types of captive leopards.

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
wellington said:
Totally agree with Neal. I went through the same thing when my Leo was little. He is over two now and still doesn't really eat it. I might find a piece in his mouth, but it got there while he was trying to eat some good weeds.

Haha, I love this.

And sorry if I caused any offence by quoting, I thought it might be helpful.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Neal said:
Both types will not eat grass regularly at a young age. There is a case study that shows some wild populations of leopard tortoises' consume very little grass and eat more succulents and forbes.

They may nibble at it, but they typically won't eat it regularly until they are sub adults.

Neal, my Gpp have been eating chopped grass since I first got them. In fact I've never needed to mow the lawn inside their outdoor enclosure. When I offered chopped grass to the the babcocki they carefully late around it.

dar64

5 Year Member
I have the common ones the babcocki

LeopardTortLover said:
I don't know if this helps you at all, but this is a quote from Tom. I was also discussing "weaning" my tortoise (babcocki) onto grass.

"A lot of the books say they eat a lot of grass, and technically "leopard tortoises" do eat a lot of grass. But here's the thing: South African leopards, the pardalis subspecies, DO eat a lot of grass and their diet is more like a sulcata. The normal, more common leopards, the babcocki subspecies, don't eat as much grass or hay. No harm if they nibble on it, but its not their norm."

ok, this is all good to know. I mix hay dust on their greens. should I chop some grass instead ? Now I won't worry about it until they are older if they aren't grazing. this is off topic but if they are outside during the day, do I still need to have a UVB light on them

Thanks so much everyone !
Dar

Neal said:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
Neal, my Gpp have been eating chopped grass since I first got them. In fact I've never needed to mow the lawn inside their outdoor enclosure. When I offered chopped grass to the the babcocki they carefully late around it.

I should specify that my pardalis graze more than the babcocki definitely, but even at the age they are now I haven't seen them graze, what would consider regularly, like my adult babcocki. I'm still out there with the weed eater every now and then. :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
dar64 said:
I have the common ones the babcocki

LeopardTortLover said:

ok, this is all good to know. I mix hay dust on their greens. should I chop some grass instead ? Now I won't worry about it until they are older if they aren't grazing. this is off topic but if they are outside during the day, do I still need to have a UVB light on them

Dar

Neal said:

No, you don't need UVB as long as they get several hours a week of it from the good old sunshine, which is better anyway.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
dar64 said:

Dar

You'd probably be just fine without chopping up the grass, assuming the diet you provide is well rounded and varied. It couldn't hurt, though they will still probably eat around it.

If you get them outside regularly, I don't think you need UVB. Even 30 minutes every few days outdoors seems to be sufficient enough to provide for their UVB needs.

dar64

5 Year Member
Great Thank you !

Neal said:
dar64 said:

Dar

You'd probably be just fine without chopping up the grass, assuming the diet you provide is well rounded and varied. It couldn't hurt, though they will still probably eat around it.

If you get them outside regularly, I don't think you need UVB. Even 30 minutes every few days outdoors seems to be sufficient enough to provide for their UVB needs.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
My leopards will all eat Bermuda grass. The two year old pulls it out ferociously. The yearlings have just started to eat it recently, but aren't eating great amounts of it. Until about a year old they seemed to only eat the leafy type of weeds in the yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.