Swollen Back Joint

NewRussianTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Sugar Landt, TX
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I already have a question.
I realized a couple of days ago that my 3 year old Russian tortoise has a swollen joint. She was fine a week ago. She could pull herself up and walk without her shell touching the ground. Well, not anymore. The right back leg is fine, but I can see the joint on her left side is a bit swollen (fatter than the other joint). Any ideas on what’s going on??

Thanks SO much in advance!

FCE3B364-251C-48C5-AC8E-61F5AD4CCDC9.jpeg 98B6707F-B4FC-40CF-8185-2AB9A72D3DDC.jpeg B30AEF10-9979-4C35-8C2E-A1E24F358C7F.jpeg 56A0873D-1D79-4A27-9D4E-8246F5AFB948.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Does she use that leg when walking? It might just be a pulled muscle. If you're really worried about it you should probably take her to the vet. In the meantime, water therapy might be in order. Place her in a tub of warm water that's too deep for her to touch the bottom and let her swim for a few minutes, exercising the leg with no pressure on it.

NewRussianTortoise

Sugar Landt, TX
Does she use that leg when walking? It might just be a pulled muscle. If you're really worried about it you should probably take her to the vet. In the meantime, water therapy might be in order. Place her in a tub of warm water that's too deep for her to touch the bottom and let her swim for a few minutes, exercising the leg with no pressure on it.

Thanks! I might have to take her to the vet. She seems to be getting worse. She uses that leg, but not as she used to pulling herself up completely but just a little. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's not unheard of for the hip joint to come out of the socket. But my guess is it's just a pulled muscle. Let us know what the vet says.