Swimming and floating tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Lets not forget, it was swimming/floating in"salt water". I am willing to bet if that tortoise entered a body of fresh water, we wouldn't be having this conversation. :)

EricIvins

5 Year Member
Its actually quite simple as to how this animal survived - The floating part is fairly self explanitory......I doubt the animal swam too much......

However, when it rains there is a layer of fresh water that is created on top of the sea water and lasts for some time depending on ambient conditions. This temporary halocline is also how Sea Snakes survive, and I'm sure many other Island hopping species that cross salt water......

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
I can't stand it!!! I want to grab the tweezers and pick all those barnacles off.

me too! can't stand stuff like that! like the Pipa pipa Surinam toad with the eggs in its back...ahhh! want to pick them all out!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
wellington said:
That is really amazing. I would have thought he would get totally dehydrated, the salt water and all. So, my question is, can they or have they adapted to be able to drink salt water and large amounts don't effect them? Do you think that he did t drink any but only absorb it and that doesn't effect them. Possibly, they can absorb salt water? That's a long time floating at sea. Thanks for sharing so, interesting.

If I were to venture a guess on this I would GUESS that if a tortoise can absorb water thru it's skin like osmosis.... wouldn't the skin act as a filter to keep the salt out and still stay completly hydrated? Food however would still be an issue.

skottip said:
Lets not forget, it was swimming/floating in"salt water". I am willing to bet if that tortoise entered a body of fresh water, we wouldn't be having this conversation. :)

The results would be the same. Tortoise have thier lungs at the top of their caripace....natural floatation device.... they sufficate when left on their backs because of the preasure of the organs on the lungs.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Love it! Thank you for sharing. Im continually taught how much more I have to learn.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Zamric said:
wellington said:
That is really amazing. I would have thought he would get totally dehydrated, the salt water and all. So, my question is, can they or have they adapted to be able to drink salt water and large amounts don't effect them? Do you think that he did t drink any but only absorb it and that doesn't effect them. Possibly, they can absorb salt water? That's a long time floating at sea. Thanks for sharing so, interesting.

If I were to venture a guess on this I would GUESS that if a tortoise can absorb water thru it's skin like osmosis.... wouldn't the skin act as a filter to keep the salt out and still stay completly hydrated? Food however would still be an issue.

Tortoises cannot absord water through their skin, the only place that water absorbtion occurs externally would be the cloaca. That animals volume is so great that it was able to survive based on its reserves.
It's because its skin is not permeable that it was able to avoid dehydration. Tortoises cannot drink salt water.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Livingstone said:
Tortoises cannot absord water through their skin, the only place that water absorbtion occurs externally would be the cloaca. That animals volume is so great that it was able to survive based on its reserves.
It's because its skin is not permeable that it was able to avoid dehydration. Tortoises cannot drink salt water.

Tortoises don't absorb water thru their skin? Then why do we soak them to help re-hydrate them? Sure, they may drink some water while they are soaking but not always, and not always enough to totally re-hydrate.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I am really curious to know the answer of whether they absorb water through their skin or only through their cloaca. If it is only the cloaca then I'm assuming it is very absorbent

cruiser12

5 Year Member
Woah, a month and a half of floating in the sea. Im kinda surprised he wasn't eaten by a shark or something! He also looks a little fat for not eating much for 6-7 weeks...

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
I never would have thought that wow we learn something new about tortoises everyday.

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
So my question is, do all tortoises swim instinctively or is this something that is specific to those species that have found their way on to oceanic islands. Unlike the aldabras, some inland species have not really had access to large bodies of water for thousands of years. Does anyone have experience with CB tortoises swimming?

Really interesting post!!

Status
Not open for further replies.