Supplements for Sulcata Hatchling

BubbaJ1020

Location (City and/or State)
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello everyone,
I have a 2 month old Sudanese Sulcata. We live in AZ and eventually ”Bubba” is going to have a home in our backyard ?
Can any one advise on how much “a sprinkle” of Calcium or Multi Vitamin means? Is it like 1/4 teaspoon? I was told to alternate each Mon-Sat with nothing on Sunday. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Alicia

Attachments

• C242E354-A651-416E-B83B-8A29F73C894B.jpeg
    C242E354-A651-416E-B83B-8A29F73C894B.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 11

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Alicia. Welcome to the forum.

I'll answer your question, but first understand that most of the care info for this species is wrong. Your baby is far too dry, and its survival depends on moisture and humidity.

Give this a read for the current and correct care info:

The answer to your question varies with the diet, size and sex of the tortoise. For growing babies, a tiny pinch once or twice week of each supplement is plenty. Its a good idea to also offer cuttlebone so they can self supplement their calcium intake when needed.

BubbaJ1020

Scottsdale, AZ
Hi, how can you tell he’s far too dry? I soak him once a day and mist down the substrate in the morning and at night.
Thank you for the feedback Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, how can you tell he’s far too dry? I soak him once a day and mist down the substrate in the morning and at night.
Thank you for the feedback Tom
By the appearance of the carapace and the deep notches that will become pyramiding that are forming between the scutes.

Misting the substrate does very little, and if you have to mist regularly, it is an indication that things are much too dry. Sulcatas are NOT a desert species. Babies hatch at the start of the rainy season into conditions that are hot, wet and humid. They need these conditions to thrive and grow normally. Most breeders, vets, and "experts" learned the wrong info decades ago and still don't know better.

Here is what can happen when they are dry started:

By contrast, here is how they SHOULD be started: