Super cute niece really gets torts :-)

Littlez

Location (City and/or State)
St Leonards on Sea, UK
My niece, Eryn, has just turned 4 and is a total animal lover. A couple of years ago, before getting a real handle on language, she reacted to animals (as kids often do) by giving the noise she'd been taught to associate with that particular creature.... So, if she saw a dog she'd point and say "woof". If it was a cat she'd say "miaow". You get the picture
She was (and still is)a huge fan of the kids tv show Peppa Pig. If you don't know it, it's about a cartoon pig called Peppa and her family and friends. She has a little brother called George and George's favourite toy is a dinosaur. Whenever he plays with it he makes a sort of growling/roaring noise. Eryn loves dinosaurs and has quite a few toy dinosaurs at home.
I live a little long way away from my family and go back for a few days about two or three times a year. I don't always take Rover, my little Russian, with me as I have a good friend who loves Rover-sitting for me. The first time I took Rover with me and introduced him to Eryn I had no idea how she would react. She was great with fluffy things like cats and dogs but she'd never been close to a reptile before.
She took one look at him, pointed and started growling. I was confused (not having seen Peppa Pig yet) but my mother laughed and explained "She thinks he's a dinosaur". Obviously, I corrected her. "Knows mam. She knows he's a dinosaur."
Now ,whenever I visit, Eryn sees me and runs straight past me into the utility room at the back of mam's kitchen (where Rover gets set up when we stay there) because she associates me being there with Rover being there. She does love her aunty but I'm definitely in second place to Rover! She loves bathing him and thinks it's hilarious every time he poos (but instantly demands that the nearest grownup gets on the case to clean up) and strokes his shell as gently as if it was made of glass.
Since my dinosaur is going to outlive me, I had worried about what to plan for his future. Now I know that I have someone who will love him and care for him and definitely keep his home clean :)
It's not exactly a cheerful thought but planning ahead for our scaly-babies is so important.
Z

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds adorable. Keep her interest as kids go in and out of interest quickly and teach her good tortoise care along the way.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Kids are great. Both of my grandchild love my tortoises too. Every time my youngest comes over, he has to make the rounds, and check on each group.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I'm 44 (ssssh don't tell anyone) & I been an animal lover since I was a little....... alright young boy. I fell in love with reptiles at a young age & have been so ever since. My favorite book as a child was " I have a little turtle" it is a horrible story about a little boy who keeps a turtle (even though I remember it looking like a tortoise) in a hatbox under his.bed.