Sulcatas needing homes Calif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I didn't know they were still doing rescues and adoptions. I tried adopting ffrom them years ago, paid my 'membership' and then was told sorry.. we no longer do that.. they were going to start concentrating and Laws. Anyway.... they posted today..

American Tortoise Rescue here in Malibu has sulcatas for adoption. They are big, destructive and try to eat your painted toenails, but very personable. Here’s a video showing some of the ones for adoption. Males Sleepy and Louie, as well as a very sweet girlie girl, must go separately to homes with no other tortoises unless they can be separated (they fight and it is not pretty), no dogs and no kids under 12. Ambitious new owners need to build them a cinder block fireproof house with a heated pad called a pig blanket as they are from Africa and need to have heat at night and on cold winter days as they do not hibernate. A barn is good too. They are vegetarians (no fruit), eat some hay, live 100 years and are very big. They have never been to a vet because they are very healthy. If you have a garden or grass that you like, forget it.

If you live locally, you are eligible. Please email [email protected], tell me where you live and email a photo of the habitat.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/AmericanTortoiseRescue

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A lot of people paid the membership fee, and then was told sorry we are not doing adoptions anymore.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I was just a little miffed.. I spent a lot of $ on the enclosure and then was told no.. but fate would have it.. Build it and they shall come. I now have 4 rescues... live and learn

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Anyway to see them NOT on facebook? I'm not interested in any social networks outside of TFO. I could take the female and give her what I think is a pretty good home. Do you think they will insist on a shell damaging cinderblock home, instead of my shell-friendly plywood one with thermostats for temp control?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'd think someone would do a spell check...spay and "newDered" ???

Tom: You wouldn't be eligible because you breed them. She is strictly against breeding sulcatas.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So the membership fee was more a rip off to support their "shelter"?

tortoiserescue

5 Year Member
I need to correct a few misconceptions that are being posted. We asked for a $15 membership fee years ago - it was annual to cover the costs of mailing the newsletter. We switched to a free newsletter online six years ago and have not asked for yearly dues since then so some of you are living way in the past.

We never asked for an adoption fee ever. It is against the nonprofit rules. We did ask for a donation (IF POSSIBLE) when someone wanted to dump an animal on us. We have rehomed 3,000 turtles and tortoises. It became overwhelming with a full time job in addition to the rescue and we felt education was more important since there are so many national rescues now and so much educating to do. Plus we started World Turtle Day which is now celebrated around the world.

I find your comments rather mean spirited under the circumstances - I did not do that video - someone else produced it and made the spelling error.

We do not adopt to breeders especially those who breed sulcatas when there are thousands needing homes. I do post rescues on Facebook to help people out - but I guess you cannot do anything positive without people bitching these days. I cannot even imagine why someone would breed these animals except for the money. It is an extreme disservice to all the rescuers in the U.S.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortoiserescue said:
I need to correct a few misconceptions that are being posted. We asked for a $15 membership fee years ago - it was annual to cover the costs of mailing the newsletter. We switched to a free newsletter online six years ago and have not asked for yearly dues since then so some of you are living way in the past.

We never asked for an adoption fee ever. It is against the nonprofit rules. We did ask for a donation (IF POSSIBLE) when someone wanted to dump an animal on us. We have rehomed 3,000 turtles and tortoises. It became overwhelming with a full time job in addition to the rescue and we felt education was more important since there are so many national rescues now and so much educating to do. Plus we started World Turtle Day which is now celebrated around the world.

I find your comments rather mean spirited under the circumstances - I did not do that video - someone else produced it and made the spelling error.

We do not adopt to breeders especially those who breed sulcatas when there are thousands needing homes. I do post rescues on Facebook to help people out - but I guess you cannot do anything positive without people bitching these days. I cannot even imagine why someone would breed these animals except for the money. It is an extreme disservice to all the rescuers in the U.S.
I am glad you came in and posted this to tell your side of the story. Thank you! :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.