Sulcatas as a money making venture...

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I know I shouldn't repost this, but I couldn't resist: anyone have $2500 lying around for a garden-variety Sulcata you can otherwise get almost for free... (at least his shell looks pretty good!)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think they bought it as a money maker way back when it was a baby. Thinking, they'd keep it until large and more than quadruple their money. I guess they didn't know how many babies were laid and available with each batch LMAO.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know I shouldn't repost this, but I couldn't resist: anyone have $2500 lying around for a garden-variety Sulcata you can otherwise get almost for free... (at least his shell looks pretty good!)

See? THIS is the reason there are tortoise thefts. People selling ask inflated prices, then the unwitting, dumb thief grabs 'em to sell thinking to make a big buck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
See? THIS is the reason there are tortoise thefts. People selling ask inflated prices, then the unwitting, dumb thief grabs 'em to sell thinking to make a big buck.
I was wondering if this was a stolen tortoise and the idiot that stole it has no idea what it is really worth.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Well now I feel bad. That didn’t even occur to me. But honestly most adult Sulcata on craigslist are around $250. I wonder if it was a typo, but there really isn’t any reason why I think this guy would think they are that much. There is a half dozen others on craigslist right now…

there is a radiated for $3000 but that’s mostly an outlier. And one person who had an albino Sulcata trying to get big bucks for it…

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well now I feel bad. That didn’t even occur to me. But honestly most adult Sulcata on craigslist are around $250. I wonder if it was a typo, but there really isn’t any reason why I think this guy would think they are that much. There is a half dozen others on craigslist right now…

there is a radiated for $3000 but that’s mostly an outlier. And one person who had an albino Sulcata trying to get big bucks for it…
Oh, the typo theory seems very reasonable. It wouldn't be hard to accidentally add a zero.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Yard Service people ... When we had large torts near the city every time a yard service would see them within a week someone would meet our dog around 2 a.m. There are certain cultures that put tortoises on a pedastool with unicorns, in other words they are magical beings.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Of all of the tortoise species, I get asked to take in unwanted Sulcata the most often.
They seem to have little value. At least for keepers that are in over their heads.
And I certainly don't have enough yard space.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Yard Service people ... When we had large torts near the city every time a yard service would see them within a week someone would meet our dog around 2 a.m. There are certain cultures that put tortoises on a pedastool with unicorns, in other words they are magical beings.
When I had some immigrant workers at my place once, they were looking at my tortoises in their outdoor pens and talking to each other rather excitedly in a language I did not understand. When I asked the foreman who did speak English what they were saying he told me that the workers thought my tortoise looked delicious and would really love to eat them!

Just goes to show you that not all tortoise thefts are necessarily for financial gain.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
When I had some immigrant workers at my place once, they were looking at my tortoises in their outdoor pens and talking to each other rather excitedly in a language I did not understand. When I asked the foreman who did speak English what they were saying he told me that the workers thought my tortoise looked delicious and would really love to eat them!

Just goes to show you that not all tortoise thefts are necessarily for financial gain.
Exactly what I was saying ... Ya never know. This is why a dog that bites in the yard is worth more than a video camera system.