Sulcata shell rot?

krh11b23

5 Year Member
This ain't my tort but a vet told this lady that this is shell rot. I thought they can't get it? What are y'all's opinion? ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437342434.764818.jpg

krh11b23

5 Year Member
I told her I didn't see any shell rot but I'm no expert.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I don't see any sort of shell rot.

Is the tortoise healthy otherwise?

This might be another case of a vet that is clueless about tortoises.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
I don't see any sort of shell rot.

Is the tortoise healthy otherwise?

This might be another case of a vet that is clueless about tortoises.
Yes I believe it's otherwise healthy

krh11b23

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1437360325.691629.jpg
Here is another picture so this one is a lot more interesting. To be honest I don't know anything about the tortoise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Ahh... The plot thickens...

Shell rot is VERY uncommon in sulcatas. Of all the vets I've asked, and there have been many, only one had ever seen a case. It was in AZ in winter. Apparently there was a cracked water pipe that was leaking into the sulcata enclosure and the owner didn't know it. There were two sulcatas living in poopy mud slop all winter long with no heat and one of them showed some signs of minor shell rot that was easily treated. Full recovery. None of the other vets have ever seen one single case.

I'd love to now more about THIS case. How is this tortoise housed? Where? Etc...

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Tom I'm learning more and more I will keep you posted. She said a hero vet said it was shell rot(herp vet doesn't confirm in my opinion). Now something very interesting. She said she rescues this tort. It was on wet unsanitary substrate with feces I'm it.

krh11b23

5 Year Member
Tom I'm learning more and more I will keep you posted. She said a hero vet said it was shell rot(herp vet doesn't confirm in my opinion). Now something very interesting. She said she rescues this tort. It was on wet unsanitary substrate with feces I'm it.
Herp vet not hero.