Sulcata outdoor housing

mashton10

5 Year Member
Hi would like to know what age/ size I would need to move it from an indoor viv to outside? Also what would I use to heat the outside shed? I live in England it can get cold during winter?

argus333

5 Year Member
i feel safe for full outside life with cold temps. and heated shed is about 12 inches. i use a oil filled electric heater a fully double insulated shed. temps here in n j usa lately are 25 to 35 in daytime and 0 to 20 degrees at night. snows every other day.

Attachments

• DSC_0499.jpg
    DSC_0499.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC_0498.jpg
    DSC_0498.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 97

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Argus:

May we know the temperature inside the covered "tortoise patio" when its very cold outside?

Mashton:

You can put a yearling sulcata outside on sunny days in a protected area (protected from the wind), but bring him in at night. You don't want a young sulcata getting any cooler than, say, 70F degrees. It may be cooler than that outside, but in a protected area the sun heats it up warmer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
What I prefer to do is have a nice big secure well planted outdoor enclosure AND a proper indoor enclosure. Then on fair weather days, the tortoises run around outside in the sun and graze all day. On cold days, they just stay inside.

argus333

5 Year Member
In the greenhouse it gets anywhere from. 20 to 30 + warmer in there when sunny out. The other day it was 25 outside an 72 in there. And really humid it actually rains..... Best thing I ever built.