Sulcata Hatchling Sqeaking, Quacking (yes) Blowing Bubbles and Opening His Mouth

Ksla

Location (City and/or State)
LA, CA
Hi!
Can anyone help with these sounds/behaviors?

They began today and are consistent- not improving or worsening. I read previous posts I see it could be respiratory or stress but not sure what could have triggered either. There is no cough and no recent changes to his routine or home. Any ideas??

He opens his mouth at times as if he is chewing or getting a stuck green out. He squeaks but also makes bubble sounds as if air is exiting from a moist area. He makes chirps and even soft quacks!! And it’s definitely coming from the front, not the rear! Lol

Here’s his background:

George is a baby, about 3 or 4 months and we are brand new here and are very happy to have found this site. Especially Tom’s informative care sheet, which is changing our lives, Thank you Tom! We have changed his set up accordingly as much as possible to the guidelines and what’s possible in CA.

About a month ago, we bought him at a pet store and got all the wrong things and once I started reading threads and applying the advice, he seemed to improve. The only thing he is missing is his enclosed house and humidity, but he does soak daily. Working on the closed enclosure part- will go with a grow house, just trying to sort out how to do it so that it’s lengthwise.

He’s been soaking daily in very warm water, almost hot and he likes it. He has a CHE for warmth and gets natural UV light soaks because I place his terrarium in front of the screen door by our deck and the sunlight and warmth and fresh air is all his. Also trying to wean him from grocery food- he is down to dandelion greens from the romaine the store fed him but won’t take grass yet. His temps are between 90-100 during the day and 80-85 at night.

what could be causing the stress or Respiratory issues? Thanks in advance

I took a video but it seems we can’t upload those!! Here are pics of him from the video. His mouth is very dark now. Not at all how it was when we got him. Are the soaks causing this? The pic of him eating was taken the day he came home.

Attachments

• CF9EBDB1-E464-437C-B379-F4793B9F87DD.jpeg
    CF9EBDB1-E464-437C-B379-F4793B9F87DD.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 299450AE-E97F-4DB8-AA1E-371635E1E426.jpeg
    299450AE-E97F-4DB8-AA1E-371635E1E426.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 898155EF-58B1-4F30-B031-9620296DAB0B.jpeg
    898155EF-58B1-4F30-B031-9620296DAB0B.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 19

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RIs come from cold. It hasn't been warm enough here to sun or soak by an open screen. Where is it 80-85 in the enclosure at night and how are you measuring that? Its really tough to keep them warm at night with an open top.

Ksla

LA, CA
RIs come from cold. It hasn't been warm enough here to sun or soak by an open screen. Where is it 80-85 in the enclosure at night and how are you measuring that? Its really tough to keep them warm at night with an open top.
Make sense the cold would cause it.
I have two CHEs fixed over the top of his enclosure to space out the warmth.
The sun is so he can get his UV since we came home with coil lights and those burned him, so very weary of heat or UV bulbs at the moment. I have a thermometer near his hide since he spends so much time in there. I check it several times a day and adjust the lamps so that it doesn’t get too warm or dip. Our home is about 73 inside during the day and goes to about 68 at night so not a huge change.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Make sense the cold would cause it.
I have two CHEs fixed over the top of his enclosure to space out the warmth.
The sun is so he can get his UV since we came home with coil lights and those burned him, so very weary of heat or UV bulbs at the moment. I have a thermometer near his hide since he spends so much time in there. I check it several times a day and adjust the lamps so that it doesn’t get too warm or dip. Our home is about 73 inside during the day and goes to about 68 at night so not a huge change.
Does he not have a basking lamp?

He isn't getting any UV through a screen in winter. Mid day UV levels are very low this time of year. Flitering it through a screen, removes a large portion of what he would receive.

Ksla

LA, CA
Ah, I see. Ok. Good to know. Bummer it gets filtered that way and isn’t sufficient.
As far as the basking lamp, he had one for a few weeks- the purple ones. They burned out twice in the lamp. I replaced the first one but not the second because he just seemed dry (but that was before the daily soaks) and I was concerned that a bulb would burn out and start a fire. The bulbs were 100watt and the lamps are fine for 150watts. Should I put in a basking lamp with lower wattage for him to use alongside the CHE?

Also have since posting, ordered a grow tent. It arrives Thursday so the open top won’t be an issue and I can use a UV bulb.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
The kind of UV light you need is a fluorescent tube type. No screw-in UV bulb is good for various reasons.

There are different brands, but this is what I and lots of other members use.

You probably want the 12% desert strength, but to be certain, you'd need a solarmeter 6.5. You'll hang it from the overhead bar in your grow tent, along with your other lights.