Sulcata cohabitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluras

10 Year Member!
I was thinking about getting a different species of tortoise. I have a baby sulcata but what species (if any) could co habitate with the sulcata while they are babys? Any insight would be great.
Thanks
~Aaron

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, you should never mix different species of tortoise in the same habitat. If you absolutely HAVE to do it, then it might be permissible to have a leopard in with the sulcata while they are still babies. Because leopards and sulcatas come from the same continent, and live in more or less the same environment, they could live together while they are both the same size. However, the sulcata quickly outgrows the leopard and then would bully the smaller tortoise.

Yvonne

aluras

10 Year Member!
Makes sence, What about when they get older and are in the back yard and roaming the house? will there still be bully problems? when there is an escape rout? if so I have no problem keeping with the sulcatas, but a leopard would be a great addition.

M

Maggie Cummings

I had 2 Sulcata in a large yard with a good sized shed that they lived in. I had them both together during the day but Tony was a lot smaller so they slept separately with Tony in a tort table in the shed. But then Tony got bigger. There was more than enough room but the bigger one decided he didn't like the smaller one and started bullying him. Because that showed me, even tho I thought I had enough room, and there certainly was escape routes, it ended up I had to rehome the smaller one. That was a really hard decision to make. The bigger one, Bob, is a friendly outgoing clown with a great big easy going personality and I would NEVER suspect that he was bullying Tony until I saw it myself.
So my advice would be that unless you can keep them in separate habitats forever, don't add another tort to be with the Sulcata.

aluras

10 Year Member!
even if they are the same age? from the same clutch? or do you think its a size issue?? or is it a male on male issue?

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob and Tony lived together for 3 years. I think it's a Sulcata thing. Most Sulcata need to live by themselves. I know of several people who have more then one Sulcata but they are also people who don't spend much time with their animals and wouldn't notice if there was a problem.

aluras

10 Year Member!
what about later in life, getting a female? or what about getting a different kind of tortoise? would there still be tarritory problems?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only reason you would put two tortoises together is for your own benefit...because YOU think they need company. Tortoises are solitary creatures. They don't like to have to share their food or the best hiding place. They like to be alone.

Yvonne

aluras

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
The only reason you would put two tortoises together is for your own benefit...because YOU think they need company. Tortoises are solitary creatures. They don't like to have to share their food or the best hiding place. They like to be alone.

Yvonne

OKAY, OKAY, I didnt mean to strike a chord with you emysemys I am on here to ask questions and get answers to best take care of my tortoise......thats it. I have to figure that at some point tortoises breed (not planning on doing that) so they have to be around eachother at some point. I just want to have a happy healthy tortoise. So Would this be for all tortoises or just sulcatas?? If not then you would be guilty of this as well,,,am I wrong? Just an observation not an attack. Im just here to learn. your profile says you have a collection,,,,do none of them cohabitate?
~Aaron

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have a breeding colony of Manouria, because they are hard to breed and I'm trying to do my part to ensure that they don't go extinct. They live outside in a very large pen. I only have ONE sulcata in his own outdoor pen, and only two female leopards in their own outdoor pen. Each of my desert tortoises has his own outdoor pen (because males fight). I DO have a colony of Russian tortoises, however it is a very large pen and it is outside, where they stay year round. So far I haven't seen any aggression among the males, but its a BIG pen.

Most everyone who asks if it would be ok to get another tortoise keeps their original tortoise indoors in some sort of habitat that is really too small for the one and they want to add another. I always try to discourage getting another tortoise. But there are exceptions to every rule, and if you are willing to provide a large enough environment so that they have plenty of room to get away from each other, then by all means, get as many as you want. But my original opinion still stands: They are solitary creatures and don't appreciate having to fight for the best hiding place or share their food. It stresses them when they are kept together in a small indoor habitat.

I'm sorry if I came across as being upset or critical. Just stating my opinion and trying to be helpful.

Yvonne

aluras

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
I have a breeding colony of Manouria, because they are hard to breed and I'm trying to do my part to ensure that they don't go extinct. They live outside in a very large pen. I only have ONE sulcata in his own outdoor pen, and only two female leopards in their own outdoor pen. Each of my desert tortoises has his own outdoor pen (because males fight). I DO have a colony of Russian tortoises, however it is a very large pen and it is outside, where they stay year round. So far I haven't seen any aggression among the males, but its a BIG pen.

Most everyone who asks if it would be ok to get another tortoise keeps their original tortoise indoors in some sort of habitat that is really too small for the one and they want to add another. I always try to discourage getting another tortoise. But there are exceptions to every rule, and if you are willing to provide a large enough environment so that they have plenty of room to get away from each other, then by all means, get as many as you want. But my original opinion still stands: They are solitary creatures and don't appreciate having to fight for the best hiding place or share their food. It stresses them when they are kept together in a small indoor habitat.

I'm sorry if I came across as being upset or critical. Just stating my opinion and trying to be helpful.

Yvonne

Thank you, Thats what I was looking for. good information from an experienced person. I very much VALUE your opinion (being someone that has been in this for some time) I have the room for outdoor and indoor accomodations for my tortoise, I dont HAVE to get another tortoise, I just was inquiring about it. I have seen Many people have leopard and sulcata together (im guessing because of the simular care) so I was just looking for some insight. Do you think that a leopard and a sulcata could live together as hatchlings? if not then a different tortoise tabe will be built(if I decide to get one) untill they start their outdoor living? Thank you again for the information...I really do appreciate it.
~Aaron

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I HAVE kept hatchling (cb) sulcatas in with leopards for a short period. Hatchlings do much better when there is more than one together, because the competition for the food makes them eat better. But when the sulcatas start to get bigger than the leopards, I've separated them.

The reason you don't want to mix your species is because of the pathogens. Animals that come from one continent have pathogens in their systems that that type of animal has grown accustomed to over the eons, and lives with the pathogen not causing harm to the host. But when you put two different continents together, the pathogens MIGHT cause illness or even death, because the other tortoise has not grown accustomed to those pathogens over the eons. It might take a long time, and it might happen in a short period. And then again, it might never happen. But I don't want to chance it, so I generally don't mix my species.

If you do decide to get another tortoise of whatever species, be sure to quarantine the newcomer. You just never know if you will be bringing illness into your existing habitat.

Yvonne

aluras

10 Year Member!
emysemys said:
I HAVE kept hatchling (cb) sulcatas in with leopards for a short period. Hatchlings do much better when there is more than one together, because the competition for the food makes them eat better. But when the sulcatas start to get bigger than the leopards, I've separated them.

The reason you don't want to mix your species is because of the pathogens. Animals that come from one continent have pathogens in their systems that that type of animal has grown accustomed to over the eons, and lives with the pathogen not causing harm to the host. But when you put two different continents together, the pathogens MIGHT cause illness or even death, because the other tortoise has not grown accustomed to those pathogens over the eons. It might take a long time, and it might happen in a short period. And then again, it might never happen. But I don't want to chance it, so I generally don't mix my species.

If you do decide to get another tortoise of whatever species, be sure to quarantine the newcomer. You just never know if you will be bringing illness into your existing habitat.

Yvonne
leopard and sulcata come from the same continent right?? Im still pretty new (concidering you guys and all the years) to the tortoise world, So they may be able to live together for a short amount of time? I really want to raise a leopard along with raising my sulcata,,,(not in the same enclosure when older) so I want to make it better, Should I make a different table for the leopard? thanks for all the insight.
~Aaron

M

Maggie Cummings

I am a real stickler when it comes to keeping tortoises. While I do break the rules from time to time, mixing species is one rule I don't break. While Sulcata and Leopards come from the same continent they wouldn't normally cross each others territories I believe. You could keep the two together, but within months the Sulcata is bigger and will bully the more shy Leopard. Tortoises are normally singular creatures and not social. In the wild they are solitary and not seen in groups. So it's my opinion that if you can't create habitats for each species then you shouldn't get the other species...

aluras

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
I am a real stickler when it comes to keeping tortoises. While I do break the rules from time to time, mixing species is one rule I don't break. While Sulcata and Leopards come from the same continent they wouldn't normally cross each others territories I believe. You could keep the two together, but within months the Sulcata is bigger and will bully the more shy Leopard. Tortoises are normally singular creatures and not social. In the wild they are solitary and not seen in groups. So it's my opinion that if you can't create habitats for each species then you shouldn't get the other species...
Thank you soo much for the info.I really dont need any bullies in the yard.
~Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.