Sulcata arm spurs peeling

vlw202

Location (City and/or State)
california
Hello all. I have a 15 year old (maybe more??) Sulcata who has peeling skin on both front legs revealing white/pink raw skin underneath. We live in the desert so I'm wondering if he's super dry or if he has a fungus situation. Anyone know what this is? Pics below.Screen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.53.18 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.53.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.53.02 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.53.28 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-03 at 10.53.40 AM.png

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello all. I have a 15 year old (maybe more??) Sulcata who has peeling skin on both front legs revealing white/pink raw skin underneath. We live in the desert so I'm wondering if he's super dry or if he has a fungus situation. Anyone know what this is? Pics below.View attachment 345530View attachment 345531View attachment 345532View attachment 345533View attachment 345534
Hello and welcome. Your tortoise looks extremely dry - do you normally soak him at all ? That would help make the problem more visible, for a start. Is he eating well ? I hope you will hear from some more knowledgeable members soon - meanwhile, best wishes
Angie.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

vlw202

california
I do think that it's possible that ground squirrels could get to him. But I'm alarmed by how much of his skin is now peeling off. Are they trying to take his skin?!

vlw202

california
Also, aside from making him safe from rodents, how should I treat the skin?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I do think that it's possible that ground squirrels could get to him. But I'm alarmed by how much of his skin is now peeling off. Are they trying to take his skin?!
Its usually not ground squirrels because they are active in the day and the tortoise will fight and defend itself during a warm day when the squirrels would also be active. This is usually the result of rats at night when the tortoise is cold and sleeping. They are eating your tortoise.

Again, where does your tortoise sleep at night. If he is outside, it is much too cold. They need to be no lower than 80 degrees at night. A night box like this will keep your tortoise warm and also protect it from rodents and other predators at night. They also like to use the box to escape the heat on hot summer days and the cold on winter days.

What part of CA are you in. Very different advice for Big Bear vs. Palm Springs.

To treat that, I would do a one time Betadine scrub to disinfect it, and then spray it daily with some Veterycin for a few days.

vlw202

california
He's sleeping outside in his box -- we have heaters in it in the winter, but the nights are much warmer now (near Palm Springs). So it's rat. Gross. Ugh. I need to secure him tonight but not sure where we could move him to keep them out. We'll need to re-do the entire (very large) enclosure with hardware cloth to keep out more rats.

Thoughts on where to keep him safe for a few nights?

vlw202

california
Its usually not ground squirrels because they are active in the day and the tortoise will fight and defend itself during a warm day when the squirrels would also be active. This is usually the result of rats at night when the tortoise is cold and sleeping. They are eating your tortoise.

Again, where does your tortoise sleep at night. If he is outside, it is much too cold. They need to be no lower than 80 degrees at night. A night box like this will keep your tortoise warm and also protect it from rodents and other predators at night. They also like to use the box to escape the heat on hot summer days and the cold on winter days.

What part of CA are you in. Very different advice for Big Bear vs. Palm Springs.

To treat that, I would do a one time Betadine scrub to disinfect it, and then spray it daily with some Veterycin for a few days.
Ah -- just saw the link to the light box. Looking now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Is it possible to modify his night box so you can close the door at night to keep rats out?

MsBijou

5 Year Member
If you do use betadine, please dilute it with 10 parts water to one part betadine.

vlw202

california
Is there anything I can do to help him regrow his skin/spurs? Any supplements etc?

vlw202

california
We had him overnight inside and found this in the morning. What is this?!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 12.07.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 12.07.05 PM.png
    404.3 KB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Time-wise, what should we expect?
Months or years.
We had him overnight inside and found this in the morning. What is this?!
That is urates. It is a sign that your tortoise is dehydrated. You need to soak him daily for a couple of weeks for 40-60 minutes, and then cut it back to two or three times a week over the rest of the hot summer. You can also add opuntia, cucumber, lettuce, and water(sprayed on the food) to the diet to help with hydration. Humidifying the heated night box will also help to lose less water through respiration.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Wish you the best in getting him back to a healthy state. Give him regular, long, warm soaks and let the water level reach half way up his carapace. He is so dried out! Keep us posted on his progress, please! He is so beautiful.

vlw202

california
Here's what it's looking like now (after rat proofing). Could it also be something else?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 7.52.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 7.52.08 AM.png
    521.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 7.52.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 7.52.16 AM.png
    429 KB · Views: 7
  • Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 7.52.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 7.52.25 AM.png
    405.3 KB · Views: 7