substrate

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Also this depends on the depth of you tank.
I prefer enough that my tort can just burrow under the surface.
3 to 6 inches is good.in my opinion.

M

Maggie Cummings

My Sulcata liked to burrow in hay, but he never dug an inch outside. Not all Sulcata burrow....

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
My substrate is about 5 inches deep. The bottom couple of inches are just plain top soil followed by several inches of coir and then I throw some moss here and there and in the hides so that my torts can burrow into that if they want. They don't really burrow into the soil ever.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Question: once read that you can put about 3 layers of newpaper under the substrate for an indoor closed enclosure? Good idea?

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Question: once read that you can put about 3 layers of newpaper under the substrate for an indoor closed enclosure? Good idea?
I have not heard of doing this. What would be the reason? I would guess that overtime it would start to mold if moisture made its way down to the bottom.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I wouldn't.
Can't see the benefit myself and the paper would get wet and moldy which could lead to respiratory problems.
Oh, as i type Careym posts the same idea.
I agree.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Don't know why the newspaper just read that on a tortoise info site so thought I'd ask. Good points on why not to. Thx!