Substrate Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atlas325

5 Year Member
So I'm worried I have made a blunder. I'm using pine bark as a substrate for him. It seemed a logical choice and it's easy for him to dig in. But after looking around, I see many places seem to frown upon it. Mostly because it's too dry, but one site also claimed that the bark can emit toxic fumes when heated.

So is it okay for him? Or would something else be more beneficial?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Pine bark is not the best choice, because it does not retain much moisture. Remember, a semi-arid lands tortoise like the Russian does well in low ambient humidity, but still needs a substrate that can provide a humid microclimate, without being soggy. Pine bark cannot do that; it's basically either wet or dry, with little in between.

Some people like soil, others like cypress mulch. Both are fine, as they can retain moisture. However, unless you bake them to kill pests, you may find that they foster fungi, insects, or both. Other people use orchid bark with success. I have not used it myself, but other TFO members really like it.

My personal favorite is 100% coco coir, which not only holds moisture well, but is also loose enough for tortoises to burrow into it and achieve a humid microclimate for themselves. It also does not harbor insects, and is resistant to fungal infestation. My tortoises seem very comfortable on it, so I don't hesitate to recommend it. :)

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
I also use the coco coir for most of my enclosures I agree it holds the moisture well and the torts are able to burrow in it very well. I like also because it isn't that expensive and it is easy to use.

Jon

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
jwhite said:
I also use the coco coir for most of my enclosures I agree it holds the moisture well and the torts are able to burrow in it very well. I like also because it isn't that expensive and it is easy to use.

Jon

Oh yeah, good point. I forgot to mention that coco coir is one of the cheaper substrates, too, but certainly not low quality.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
At the beginning of my having a tortoise, I used carefresh recycled paper bedding. I learned that was a horrible choice. The woman at the pet store who sold me my Russian told me that's what she used for hers. (In the cage at the store, there was a sheet of fake grass, she had been eating it and I had seen it in her poop.)

I then used newspaper sometimes, as well as aspen pellets. These were also fairly poor choices.

I began browsing forums and care sheets and switched to coco coir. I found that it held moisture and allowed digging into, but it stuck to everything, the food, the tortoises's face(making her wipe her face all the time), it got in the water, and on my hands every time I touched it.

I began adding some cypress mulch to it and found that this had a pretty good feel to it. However, I noticed TONS of springtails just crawling all over the substrate. I think at one point I had moistened aspen pellets and coir mixed...this might have actually been when I saw the tons of springtails. I also decided not to spot clean, maybe the tortoises would eat their poop or it would just decompose on its own and stuff... they didn't and the bugs persisted.

I dumped that batch into the outdoor enclosure where the bugs would dissipate and have been using all cypress for a few months. I like that it doesn't stick to everything as much, but I don't like when they happen to eat a piece or two. It comes out in their poop fine, but I wonder if it all is coming out. Also, I spot check but there are now little fungus gnats. Just two days ago I added lots of hot water to the substrate and I haven't seen many flies since. If they come back strong and quickly, I may change it up and add or switch to coir...

Status
Not open for further replies.