Substrate Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Texas, yeehaw
Meg90 said:
You should be feeding both of them spring mix as a staple diet, along with different greens every other week or so. Too much of one thing can cause problems....

Also, I would separate them.

Your Redfoot needs high humidity. He does not like bright lights. (this is the reason, that even though I love the species, I do not own. Because I do not think I could create the right environment.)

While your sulcata is a desert species, and enjoys high-light conditions. He also only would need one humid area (a humid hide) instead of having his whole enclosure as humid as the Red Foot.

To keep them together because they are "buddies" is faulty logic. Tortoises are solitary from day one. They do not live in groups in the wild, even as babies. All species of turtles and tortoises are like this. They are reptiles, baby torts, not puppies who need play mates.

To say that you haven't seen any harm now, is faulty as well. If one, or both of your animals begin to pyramid, you cannot erase that. The damage is there forever.

These species do not even come from the same continent.

What makes you think that they would do well under the same conditions?

No worries. I am seperating them soon. I need a new set of lamps for that and a new stand (that can wait) . The only reason I keep them together was that a breeder told me they both did well on rabbit pellets. I was thinking, "cool, i'll put them together. If you watch this from a while back, I had the right idea going. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJukd-Zlbkc[hr]
Meg90 said:
Just watched your video, to the tortoise forum, and there are all sorts of things that are wrong with your set up, despite the obvious incorrect housing of the two species.

One: too small.
two: not enough hides....
three: no water dish? Red foots like to soak.

Also, do you soak your tortoises? For having babies you should be doing it daily, in warm, treated water for about 15 minutes. This helps keep them hydrated.

Also, the light was VERY dim. Your sulcata seems especially dark, for such a young baby. They darken from producing extra pigment in their shells to absorb more heat. What are you using for a light?

This is also where both species vary IMPORTANTLY. Your red foot will not do well under a Mercury vapor bulb. This is what your sulcata needs. I would recommend a 100 W Trex bulb.

Your red foot, should have a ceramic heat emitter (no light comes from this) and a UVB tube light (they are not as bright as the MVB bulbs)

Do you have any more questions? It really upset me to see that you are looking for suggestions on what you should get for your next reptile, when clearly your tortoises are lacking necessities.

I understand the urge to collect (i myself have several species) but if your setups are subpar, you are not doing any of the animals you own any favors.

chill out. that was months ago. AND YES I SOAK THEM.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Dutton, that last video was a much better habitat for both. Try using long strand Sphagnum moss (Home Depot or Lowes) for the Redfoot. It will retain moisture and humidity and not mold or mildew and no dust. Your Redfoot will always need about 80-85% humidity and low light. Where you’re Sully, well you know, Loves the sun and desert but needs a humid hide about 70% humidity. I know it takes a while to get things just the way you want them and to get them so the torts are in a more natural habitat and I applaud you for working towards that. Like you, we are all passionate about torts and only want what is best for them. I suggest you get, if you do not already have, a couple of thermometers an hydrometers to get good temps and humidity for your little ones. And as young torts things are more critical, like humidity, diet, exercise. As during the first year or two the development of your tort is at its most critical stage for pyramiding, MBD or Kidney failure. As I said, I'm sure you understand we only want what's best for your shelled babies, as do you.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Um, I watched the video you posted ten HOURS ago.

And a damp towel is not suitable. Have you ever heard of shell rot? A tortoise contracts it from incorrect conditions.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
OK Meg, easy. I know how passionate about torts you are and Dutton is working at making a suitable enclosure for his torts. I just sent you a PM Meg, please read before you post more in this thread.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
saw that. my name is meg btw. I can see that you care about your animals. But why did you not care enough before now in march, when you've had them since what, sept?

I'm sorry if I came off as bitey (want to keep the language pg, i can guess what you thought I was being) but I am just trying to help try and educate you about your torts.

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
Meg90 said:
saw that. my name is meg btw. I can see that you care about your animals. But why did you not care enough before now in march, when you've had them since what, sept?

I'm sorry if I came off as bitey (want to keep the language pg, i can guess what you thought I was being) but I am just trying to help try and educate you about your torts.

Yeah I understand. When people are using a forum or a form of text, its easy to lose meaning or to take on a different attitude. Its easy to lose the acountability of your true personality, thats why I use youtube so much. It offers a more personal and accurate look into the message. Even if you are just being nice because you got messaged by Crazy1. Anyways its cool.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I consider Robyn a friend, I am not a little kid that got scolded for putting her hand in the cookie jar. She just dropped me a bit of advice. :)

I can be kind of, err...high strung for lack of a better word. I am just REALLY serious about this hobby, and it upsets me to see subpar care of anything that doesn't have a voice of its own to express how it feels. In my opinion, OK is not good enough. I wouldn't want to live in an OK apartment, so I make sure that my animals are not subjected to that kind of thing either.

I'm glad that you are making changes. Check out the enclosure section, there are a bunch of great pics of setups for sulcatas, and red foots. Also, there is a fool proof care sheet for RFs here, that helps completely eliminate the chances of pyramiding...I think it even has a detailed diet listed as well. I'm sure someone can get you the link.....

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
I hope you don't think I was criticizing you. I was really trying not to come across that way. It is hard to express inflection on a post. :p
You said on your video it is trial and error, I was trying to let you know that there are those who have made the errors and give advice so we don't have to make them. I commend you for asking questions and for taking such good care of your torts. Yvonne, Maggie, Danny and Robyn and the list goes on are very experienced and will give you excellent advise. They will also tell you if they don't know. :D

Dawna

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
I've got the cypress mulch in. It's gonna create dust I know it, but whatever....healthy torts is more important.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
DuttonWebb said:
I've got the cypress mulch in. It's gonna create dust I know it, but whatever....healthy torts is more important.

Actually, cypress mulch isn't dusty at all. Every morning just pour a glass or two of water on it and mix it up with your hand.

Yvonne

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
emysemys said:
DuttonWebb said:

Actually, cypress mulch isn't dusty at all. Every morning just pour a glass or two of water on it and mix it up with your hand.

Yvonne

you sure? this stuff has so much dirt in it :/

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Dutton, as you know I am allergic to dust so I do understand the thing about dust, but can I ask what is the problem you are having or concerned with regarding the small amount of dust that a small enclosure would produce, regardless of the substrate?

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
Crazy1 said:
Dutton, as you know I am allergic to dust so I do understand the thing about dust, but can I ask what is the problem you are having or concerned with regarding the small amount of dust that a small enclosure would produce, regardless of the substrate?

I guess a little dust is fine, but last time it got rediculous and it was a nightmare (that was sand and peat moss though so I guess that is completely different). Everyday there was a layer of dust on everything. Its cool though.

dannomite

5 Year Member
I worked for a landscape supply company for over 7 years, we bagged a lot of products with a commercial bagging machine and when we did the Peat Moss we had to wear doctor's masks and goggles as the dust was crazy. I think you'll notice a big difference after getting rid of the Peat.

Status
Not open for further replies.