Subspecies ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
When my Russians wake up I would like to group them by their subspecies. Can someone ID my boys and new female to begin with. I'll get my girls when I wake them up for their soak. Thank you!

(Also, please keep in mind these are all rescues. I know the one shell is really awful. He was kept as a water turtle before I got him.)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That "someone" is going to have to be Danny. Did you send him a PM with the link to this thread?

That poor boy, second from the left, has surely been through a hard time, huh? Do you know his story?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
He was originally kept as a slider!!!! He looked pretty much like that when I got him from an older gentlemen who couldn't care for him anymore. The vet says the top layer of keratin is mostly gone. Now the top layer is slowly peeling. I'm hoping someday he may look near normal again. Poor little guy was severely underweight when I got him. He's a great little eater and loves the ladies now! :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Going to need lengths and widths of everyone and side pictures to see the height of the carapace.
Though the 3rd male in from the left is a T.h.kazachstanica.
Yes he lost the scutes on most of his carapace and plastron. What is flaking off now is dead bone. It's coming off now because he has finished putting down new keratin and bone under the new keratin.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.