struggling to grasp creating humidity!

Cpm1992

Hi I have a leopard tortoise and I am still confused in humidity! I have put a new thermometer in with humidity measurements and its only 22%! I know it needs to ve 80+ from your advice on here but how do I get that?
Do you spray the soil or something?
Feel silly but need to know so I can sort it!

Thank youuu
Chloe UK

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Vista, AZ
I bought a handheld mister at Petsmart (I am sure the hardware stores have them too) for under $10.00. It has a pump and then the spraying action is continuous (until it needs to be pumped again).

I also took one of those disposable plastic containers by Ziploc or Glaad or something, poked several holes in the lid with a fork, filled it with water and placed it under the basking lamp in hopes of creating additional humidity throughout the day. These options are in conjunction with having a cool mist humidifier for my house, located in the same room as the turtles, set at 45.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
By far the easiest and most cost effective way to create a high humidity environment is with a closed chamber.

You can try a humidifier and frequent spraying in an open enclosure but in most cases it's an uphill battle.

abclements

5 Year Member
Can you post a picture of your enclosure? Creating a top for it would be really helpful if you haven't already...

Cpm1992

Ahh hmm yes I do have an open closure what can I use to cover it and do I cover all of it?
I tried posting but it says its too big hmm
Thanks for your replies

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
I have used a screen cover that came with the reptile tank, about a 55 gal. size, and covered that with aluminum foil. Had to make some openings through the screen and foil for the lamp clamp to poke through. But even with that the humidity falls to 58%. I'm going to try a fogger next. Seems like maintaining humidity is a common problem.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Cpm1992 said:
Ahh hmm yes I do have an open closure what can I use to cover it and do I cover all of it?
I tried posting but it says its too big hmm
Thanks for your replies

What to use to cover your enclosure depends on the enclosure. Some have used plastic shower curtains, built hoods from wood or plastics, or in some cases used aluminum foil. Here is one of several threads on the topic: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

It is best to cover the entire top and seal it as best you can. I did not need a humidifier for mine, but I did used extra water dishes (one on top of the humid hide) and a sponge to add humidity.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: struggling to grasp creating humidity!

Kathy Coles said:
. Seems like maintaining humidity is a common problem.

I have to disagree. Keeping high humidity is a piece of cake in my closed chambers! ;)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Team Gomberg said:
Kathy Coles said:
. Seems like maintaining humidity is a common problem.

I have to disagree. Keeping high humidity is a piece of cake in my closed chambers! ;)

Yeah!!! !! !! !!

Since I change my indoor enclosure to a closed chamber. It is a piece cake to keep humidity around 70~80%.