Still have problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Tank is still making a fuss inside. He can't be outside today it's pouring rain and cold. He doesn't want to eat food he always eats inside yet e ha not problem eating outside makes no sense. What happens when winter comes. What can I add to his diet to spice things up I side I need him to eat inside. Eventually he will eat a bit inside but not enough. He is gaining weight gained 6 g last night. He only has a taste for grass now. It's getting frustrating.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
DITTO. If you can get some seeds, grow some now and then when winter sets in grow them all winter long. Also, gather weeds, grass, etc from outside to feed inside.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Thanks for the reply I have been growing grass inside his enclosure he does not seem to care for it though.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
A lot of members have been growing plain old bird seed, (cheap and plentiful) and a lot of tortoises seem to love it.

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
Here's the cheap way to grow grass, get a tub with some of your soil from you backyard....make sure it's about 6in deep, buy some grass seed. And one of these...cost effective less energy and they work great (and even though it's uvb led lights, the wavelengths aren't long enough therefore not reptile suitable, but are great for growing plants.....heres a link....hope everyone thinks about it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-RED-BLU...Light_Bulbs&hash=item4ab12d3eba#ht_3527wt_922

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Thanks Austin I will look into this. He is starting to get back to normal now moving about alot. Its been raining and cold all week no sun at all. Hes been inside since and use to it again.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
If I were you, I would get him started on some Mazuri. For those of us with cold winters, it sure is nice having one more food, and one that's easily obtainable.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
He has been on mazuri for a long while now. Finishing our first bag now haha.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well how often does he get mazuri? He might just be spoiled. Have you tried cactus diced up, and the green mixture. Ive had leopards for years now they tend to want a huge variety offered all at the same time instead of few days of this or a few days of that. Chop up a shoe box full of a whole bunch of random good things for him, include some grasses, and put about 1% mazuri in with the mixture soak it with extra water and use the water to mix up in the super salad for him, see what he does with it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Many leopards don't care for plain old grass, and studies of wild ones have shown that they don't eat as much of it as was once thought. Try a russian tortoise mix or the birdseed that the Cap'n mentioned.

Also, as you are already seeing, when the time does come to move him in for the winter, he will settle down and get used to it. Just make the indoor enclosure as big and "interesting" as possible.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
I'm working a very large enclosure now an planted bird seed last night. Got a bin going for te indoor winter period withsome grow lights. He's really going to be spoiled with this new set up it will be massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.