Starting to pyramid?

Location (City and/or State)
Derbyshire
Is my Sulcata starting to pyramid. I have had him for three weeks and keep the humidity at 60. I have a new enclosure being built this Thursday for perfect 80 percent humidity all the time (it has a lid). Any tips on any things I can do to avoid this from progressing or does he look alright.
23F8F897-A693-4FD1-97AF-7115B4B4EB37.jpeg

Attachments

• 41FCBF97-E915-44D7-B9B9-A88E111E3EF3.jpeg
    41FCBF97-E915-44D7-B9B9-A88E111E3EF3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 8

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's possible he has slight pyramiding starting. It's hard to really tell it's so slight. Get the humidity up as you are doing with the new enclosure and stop using a mercury vapor bulb if you are using one. The mvb cause pyramiding no matter how high the humidity.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is my Sulcata starting to pyramid. I have had him for three weeks and keep the humidity at 60. I have a new enclosure being built this Thursday for perfect 80 percent humidity all the time (it has a lid). Any tips on any things I can do to avoid this from progressing or does he look alright.
View attachment 355015
When you zoom in on the pic, you can see deep notches forming where the new growth is coming in. That is the start of pyramiding.

Soak the tortoise for an hour or two each day. Spray the shell frequently with non-mineralized water, like reverse osmosis, distilled, or collected rain water. Don't use non-mineralized water for drinking or soaking though.

Cover the top of your existing enclosure whatever way you can. Aluminum foil works. Be sensible and safe about it.

Be sure to have a proper humid hide. Wet the substrate under the humid hide. Upside down black dish washing tubs with a small door hole cut out work well for this purpose.

Don't feed hay to a baby. They usually won't eat it, and they can choke on it if they try. Dry hay is for adults, not babies. Greens, leaves, flowers, and soft freshly sprouted grasses for babies.

Derbyshire
It's possible he has slight pyramiding starting. It's hard to really tell it's so slight. Get the humidity up as you are doing with the new enclosure and stop using a mercury vapor bulb if you are using one. The mvb cause pyramiding no matter how high the humidity.
What bulb would you recommend?

Derbyshire
When you zoom in on the pic, you can see deep notches forming where the new growth is coming in. That is the start of pyramiding.

Soak the tortoise for an hour or two each day. Spray the shell frequently with non-mineralized water, like reverse osmosis, distilled, or collected rain water. Don't use non-mineralized water for drinking or soaking though.

Cover the top of your existing enclosure whatever way you can. Aluminum foil works. Be sensible and safe about it.

Be sure to have a proper humid hide. Wet the substrate under the humid hide. Upside down black dish washing tubs with a small door hole cut out work well for this purpose.

Don't feed hay to a baby. They usually won't eat it, and they can choke on it if they try. Dry hay is for adults, not babies. Greens, leaves, flowers, and soft freshly sprouted grasses for babies.
This is great thanks. I have a massive drum that fills up with rain water that I can use for misting/spraying shell. Enclosure is being setup on Wednesday this week.

Reactions: Tom