Star Tortoise

some1 have gift me a star tortise but how can i come to know who is male and female plz help me

• Pic have upload

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

chetanjain

5 Year Member
hi this chetan from India some1 have gift me a star tortoise how i come who is male or female plz help me ...........

Attachments

• Image0330.jpg
    Image0330.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Image0332.jpg
    Image0332.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Image0331.jpg
    Image0331.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Image0333.jpg
    Image0333.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 50

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
For us to give you a good answer, we really will need to see the bottom (especially the tail area) of the shell. Nice gifts! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Chetanjain:

Welcome to the forum!!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I havne't seen too many star tortoises in real life, but a stab in the dark would be male because of his long slim shell shape. The females I have seen are usually wider than that. A picture of the bottom of the shell and tail area would confirm.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
are tortoises supposed to be put in that high of a water level in the last picture? looks like theyre floatin though :]

samstar

5 Year Member
Hi Chetanjain,
Welcome here! We have to look at the underside to tell it's gender. Also in the last photo, looks like to much water in the tub and it will drown, the water is not suppose to be higher than where the plastron and carapace meet. Please do a search on Star caresheets.

Divya

5 Year Member
chetanjain said:
hi this chetan from India some1 have gift me a star tortoise how i come who is male or female plz help me ...........

The easiest way to detect the gender of your tortoise is to see the bottom of the shell tortoise.
Females have a flat bottom shell and males have a slightly curved bottom shell. If the tortoise is very young this difference may not be noticeable, it is difficult to tell the gender of the tortoise till its 3-4 years.

NEtorts

10 Year Member!
North East
nice gift for sure Chetan!!! i wish someone would GIVE me a Star tort!! (any takers?) the water does look high but i figured Chetan had read the "Myths busted" thread and wanted to prove a point?? ha ha yes we would need to see the bottom of the tort, flip it over and it will help....good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.