Star tortoise not growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

classew

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Japan
Hi, I'm the owner of a 9 month old star tortoise named Melon. I bought her(i guess its a her) in April and she hasn't grown at all since then. It is now November.
She eats well, soaks 3 days a week and has plenty of uv and heating. Is it normal to have such a slow growth rate?

Attachments

• image-659064393.png
    image-659064393.png
    288.6 KB · Views: 171
  • image-175743512.png
    image-175743512.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 150

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
Every tort has its own growth rate. Also is he getting natural sunlight. I also have to say he is very smooth great job!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I don't think your baby is growing slowly....good size in the pic...and I agree, every tort has its own growth rate....and yes, lovely lovely tort.:D

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
Did you get her checked to see if she has any parasites? Try to get her lots of sunlight.

classew

5 Year Member
Japan
Thanks everybody! She has been taken to the vet. There are some worms in her feces but apparently, all reptiles have a certain amount anyway and it's nothing to be worried about. That's what the vet said anyway.
I found a calcium and vitamin d3 powder to sprinkle over her food every day. It's winter in Japan now so she pretty much stays in her little hot spot most of the day.
I'll keep posted on her health and stuff.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
classew said:
Thanks everybody! She has been taken to the vet. There are some worms in her feces but apparently, all reptiles have a certain amount anyway and it's nothing to be worried about. That's what the vet said anyway.
I found a calcium and vitamin d3 powder to sprinkle over her food every day. It's winter in Japan now so she pretty much stays in her little hot spot most of the day.
I'll keep posted on her health and stuff.

Did he give her a dewormer?

classew

5 Year Member
Japan
Yes, he gave her a shot. A few days later, she started eating like she was starved. Didn't gain any weight or length. For a long time. Recently though, I compared photos and I have noticed some growth in the top of the shell. Slightly, very slightly.

Attachments

• image-822838303.png
    image-822838303.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 79

arotester

5 Year Member
i guess this size is normal for 9 month baby.I got a male and a female pair of stars in which female has grown +1.25 inch in 9 months and male has grown +.75 inch in same period .So it's up-to the tortoise how it grows.
So don't worry everything will be alright ,you have got a beautiful tortoise though :)

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That's a very good size for a 9 month old star. What are you feeding the tortoise?

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
My Russian didn't grow when I first got him, I was really worried and recently he has had a big growth spurt.

I think if she is eating, seems happy and healthy she will grow at her own pace :)

classew

5 Year Member
Japan
Thanks everybody! It'll be her first birthday this coming Sunday (and mine too). She still hasn't grown at all.
She is still eating normally and seems very healthy. I'm expecting a huge growth spurt this spring when I can actually leave her outside with some real sunshine. *fingers crossed*

classew

5 Year Member
Japan
Also, I'm mostly feeding her bok choy. once a week i give her some sort of colorful tortoise food. The greens are sprinkled with a calcium and vitamin powder.

skottip

10 Year Member!
Florida
You need to start feeding her more of a variety of mixed greens. I am not sure of the nutritional value of Bok Choy, but I do know some veggies have little to no nutritional value. The tortiose will eat and survive on them, but will never reach their potential. Mix it up. Romaine, collards, red leaf lettuce, green leaf lettuce, endive, squash, sweet potatoes,, etc Good luck!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yup, more mixed greens would be my two cents and some Mazuri too..

theelectraco

5 Year Member
The repcal tortoise pellets also aren't very nutritious and not recommended by most in this forum. Mazuri and Zoo Med pellets are a much higher quality commercial food.

classew

5 Year Member
Japan
You guys are awesome! Best feedback ever! Thanks a heap!

Status
Not open for further replies.