Squeaking and noisy breathing

Critterc928

Location (City and/or State)
Punta Gorda, Fl
I have had a baby Russian tortoise for about one month. He was doing great and few days ago I heard noisy breathing and squeaking coming from him. I am very worried as he lays his head down on the substrate. He is awesome as he will eat from my hand and when I approach his enclosure he will crawl over and extend his head out to me. But, he now extends his head and opens his mouth. Could this be an upper respiratory or something more serious. Thank you for any comments or advice

zovick

10 Year Member!
I have had a baby Russian tortoise for about one month. He was doing great and few days ago I heard noisy breathing and squeaking coming from him. I am very worried as he lays his head down on the substrate. He is awesome as he will eat from my hand and when I approach his enclosure he will crawl over and extend his head out to me. But, he now extends his head and opens his mouth. Could this be an upper respiratory or something more serious. Thank you for any comments or advice
The tortoise has its head and neck extended because it is having difficulty breathing. It sounds like a respiratory infection or possibly even early stages of pneumonia. You probably need to take the tortoise to a good reptile vet and get it checked. It will most likely need injectable ceftazidime to cure the problem, but the vet should be able to make that determination.

I would strongly advise against using injectable Baytril and/or any type of vitamin injections.

Critterc928

Location (City and/or State)
Punta Gorda, Fl
The tortoise has its head and neck extended because it is having difficulty breathing. It sounds like a respiratory infection or possibly even early stages of pneumonia. You probably need to take the tortoise to a good reptile vet and get it checked. It will most likely need injectable ceftazidime to cure the problem, but the vet should be able to make that determination.

I would strongly advise against using injectable Baytril and/or any type of vitamin injections.