Spur Thigh substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisecrush

5 Year Member
I am still learning to work this site so forgive me :)

I have an african spur thigh and we just put coconut bark in for substrate and it seems it is a bit hard for him to move around in it, is there something I could mix with it to make it a little more dense?

Thank you!! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Tortoisecrush:

Did you ever tell us your name and where you are?

I don't like coconut bark. Like you say, its hard for them to walk on. Some use Bed-a-Beast, which is your bark all ground up into dust-like particles. Some use cypress mulch or orchid bark and some use clean dirt.

tortoisecrush

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Tortoisecrush:

Did you ever tell us your name and where you are?

I don't like coconut bark. Like you say, its hard for them to walk on. Some use Bed-a-Beast, which is your bark all ground up into dust-like particles. Some use cypress mulch or orchid bark and some use clean dirt.

I'm sorry I did not! My name is Kirsten and I live in Arizona. I live in an apartment in Scottsdale... So no yard for him to graze in :( I tried posting pics but it keeps saying they are too large. I bought the tortoise house by zoo med. I can not go buy something new and change his substrate again do maybe I could mix something with it?

tortoisecrush

5 Year Member
So I went ahead and bought some cypress mulch. I am goin to mix som w the coconut bark. Please tell me that is ok!!??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It should be ok. After you get it all mixed up, pour a pitcher full of water over it and mix it all up with your hand. Then pat it down flat with the palm of your hand.

tortoisecrush

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
It should be ok. After you get it all mixed up, pour a pitcher full of water over it and mix it all up with your hand. Then pat it down flat with the palm of your hand.

Ok! Cool!! Here is what I am confused about though.. I was told they should not have any moisture? That it should be dry in there? Is this not true?

Niki

5 Year Member
tortoisecrush said:
I'm sorry I did not! My name is Kirsten and I live in Arizona. I live in an apartment in Scottsdale... So no yard for him to graze in :( I tried posting pics but it keeps saying they are too large. I bought the tortoise house by zoo med. I can not go buy something new and change his substrate again do maybe I could mix something with it?

Hi Kirsten... I am in Scottsdale too. I am a new owner to a Russian tortoise.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
tortoisecrush said:
Ok! Cool!! Here is what I am confused about though.. I was told they should not have any moisture? That it should be dry in there? Is this not true?

It definitely needs to be moist and humid.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is a care sheet for you.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1oBnFwjkD

Up until just a few years ago, almost everyone, including the books, recommended to keep them dry since they come from an arid area in the wild. The problem was that they never grew up right and their shells were always malformed. What people did not consider is that the above ground conditions are pretty irrelevant. The adults live in burrows for most of the year and seldom come above ground. Nobody knows what the babies do, but we do know that what ever it is, it is not done above ground in the hot dry air. Since no one knows what the wild babies do, we are left with what works in captivity and what does not. Dry does not work. Warm, humid and hydrated does. Just make sure they do not get cold and damp at the same time. You must keep them warm day and night with moisture and humidity. This simulates what they would get in the wild, since they hatch in the rainy season where its very hot and humid all the time.

Are you using coco chips, or ground coco fiber (like dirt almost). Coco chips are fine for the bigger ones, but the finer grade stuff is better for small ones. I wet it and pack it down with my hand. Keeps it much neater.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
You want to use a substrate that holds in humidity and dampness well, coco fiber or cypress mulch

tortoisecrush

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Here is a care sheet for you.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1oBnFwjkD

Up until just a few years ago, almost everyone, including the books, recommended to keep them dry since they come from an arid area in the wild. The problem was that they never grew up right and their shells were always malformed. What people did not consider is that the above ground conditions are pretty irrelevant. The adults live in burrows for most of the year and seldom come above ground. Nobody knows what the babies do, but we do know that what ever it is, it is not done above ground in the hot dry air. Since no one knows what the wild babies do, we are left with what works in captivity and what does not. Dry does not work. Warm, humid and hydrated does. Just make sure they do not get cold and damp at the same time. You must keep them warm day and night with moisture and humidity. This simulates what they would get in the wild, since they hatch in the rainy season where its very hot and humid all the time.

Are you using coco chips, or ground coco fiber (like dirt almost). Coco chips are fine for the bigger ones, but the finer grade stuff is better for small ones. I wet it and pack it down with my hand. Keeps it much neater.

Thank you so much for all of your info and that care sheet is great!! It has so much info in it!! :))

Niki

5 Year Member
tortoisecrush said:
Nice to meet you...! How is it goin for you starting out?

I've had her for a few months now, she is up from hibernating and hopefully our weather stays nice so I can keep her outside. (she loves to be outside) never realized how much I could love a little turtle! Good luck!

tortoisecrush

5 Year Member
Ok.. So I hope this picture will post. Keep in mind I have little space since I am in an apartment. His enclosure is 3 feet by 2 feet. I mixed coconut fiber with some coconut bark for his substrate. Any other suggestions for his home are welcome :)

image-1463844553.png

image-2132114463.png

Status
Not open for further replies.