Split Scutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Are split scutes safe? Do they affect the tortoise in any way shape or form besides aesthetics? Thanks!

TheWarTortoise

10 Year Member!
Pennsylvania
diaboliqueturtle said:
They have no impact on the health of your tort, it's strictly cosmetic. Makes them special :)

Thank you! I'm actually thinking about naming the little guy (or girl) Scutes!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Probably arises when incubation temperatures are just a little too high, which can happen sometimes in captivity, and rarely in the wild as well. Otherwise, though, it is not associated with any other health problems.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Probably arises when incubation temperatures are just a little too high, which can happen sometimes in captivity, and rarely in the wild as well. Otherwise, though, it is not associated with any other health problems.

Hmm, since higher temps causes split scutes (extra scutes as well?), then I gather that the chances of them being female are very good? That is so interesting. My baby boxie has an extra scute and I'm really hoping she's a girl ;-)

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367197370.586011.jpg
I just found the new "attach picture" button :-D

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
diaboliqueturtle said:
Hmm, since higher temps causes split scutes (extra scutes as well?), then I gather that the chances of them being female are very good? That is so interesting. My baby boxie has an extra scute and I'm really hoping she's a girl ;-)

I just found the new "attach picture" button :-D

Yes, higher temps can cause extra scutes, too ("split scutes" is kind of an all enclusive term). So yes, I would think that means turtles with split scutes are more likely to be female, but I don't know if anyone has verified that or not.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Chinque said:
What is a spit scute?

Some tortoises hatch with abnormal scute patterning. We call them split or extra scutes because the normal patterning is disrupted, resulting in more, smaller scutes on the carapace. This appears to be due to incubation temperatures that are a bit too high - high enough to interfere with development, but not high enough to kill the developing embryo. But again, other than scute pattern, there don't appear to be any other ill effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.