Sonoran desert hatchling help

erica anne

5 Year Member
I recently acquired 2 hatchling SDT's and the previous owner did not give me good info on what she was feeding them. The only thing I can get them to eat is this one certain weed in my yard. I set them up similar to my Sulcata's and give them regular soaks. Can they eat the same things?

What should my expectations be as far as quantity. My sully always ate an abundance of food, these guys just pick at things. There isn't as much info on the forum for the desert tortoise compared to the sulcata's.

I also have not seen evidence of them pooping yet and this worries me quite a bit. I would appreciate any direction you could give me.

Thank you!!

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Sully and DT's diets and care are pretty much the same. Here's a care sheet for Sonoran Desert Tortoises that may help: http://www.azeah.com/care-sheets.asp?id=100. When I got my DT's they were rescues and juveniles, I expect their appetites were voracious because they hadn't been fed the right foods nor provided the proper environment for their first couple of years of life. The ate hay for hours a day everyday for several days. They loved dandelion greens as well as hibisucs flowers and rose petals.

I'm sure others here will jump in soon with how much you should expect them to be eating. If they are tiny hatchlings I would guess about a 1/4 c of greens twice a day at least. Their poop is tiny when they are hatchlings and can easily be missed in the substrate.

I hope others chime in soon to help.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
CDTs will eat their and other poo opportunities so I would not be too concerned at not seeing actual dookie. If they are new to you then they are likely still settling in--again not a worry. If they have brumated in the past then their lack of food interest would not yet worry me either...

What is the set up you have them in at present and what was their prior set up? did they brumate in the past?

You say one certain weed they like....what is that weed? Are you soaking them for at least 30 minutes in warm water soaks each day?

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
Hello. I have 5 SDTs (4 of which are yearlings) I feed them dandelion greens, dandelion flowers, hibiscus flowers/leaves, geranium flowers, lots of weeds from the testudo mix I planted from Tortoisesupply. I also feed some mazuri pellets soaked in water for 5 minutes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
erica anne said:
I recently acquired 2 hatchling SDT's and the previous owner did not give me good info on what she was feeding them. The only thing I can get them to eat is this one certain weed in my yard. I set them up similar to my Sulcata's and give them regular soaks. Can they eat the same things?

What should my expectations be as far as quantity. My sully always ate an abundance of food, these guys just pick at things. There isn't as much info on the forum for the desert tortoise compared to the sulcata's.

I also have not seen evidence of them pooping yet and this worries me quite a bit. I would appreciate any direction you could give me.

Thank you!!

What are your four temps and what are you doing for heating and lighting? What does "like a sulcata", mean to you?

erica anne

5 Year Member
I really have three temps that run between 100- 95 during the day for basking and about 85 on the "cool side". I keep it around 80 at night. The cool side may drop to 77-78. I keep the under part of the substrate damp (coco coir) and soak daily. I bring them out in the sun almost every day for 30-60 min. The previous owner had them in an outdoor enclosure without any heat at all. I hope they are not in shock!

ascott said:
CDTs will eat their and other poo opportunities so I would not be too concerned at not seeing actual dookie. If they are new to you then they are likely still settling in--again not a worry. If they have brumated in the past then their lack of food interest would not yet worry me either...

What is the set up you have them in at present and what was their prior set up? did they brumate in the past?

You say one certain weed they like....what is that weed? Are you soaking them for at least 30 minutes in warm water soaks each day?

Lol, that is a relief, as long as they are going! They are only a month old so no previous brumating.

I believe the weed is prickly lettuce which Yvonne said was safe for my sulcata.

They are set up in a 55 gal tub with a mvb during the day and CHE at night. I provide humidity but am not certain if i should or how much and have coco coir substrate.They were previously housed outdoors with no heat. I do soak them daily.

erica anne

5 Year Member
tortoise007 said:
Hello. I have 5 SDTs (4 of which are yearlings) I feed them dandelion greens, dandelion flowers, hibiscus flowers/leaves, geranium flowers, lots of weeds from the testudo mix I planted from Tortoisesupply. I also feed some mazuri pellets soaked in water for 5 minutes.

Great! Thank you, no grass then?

TigsMom said:
Sully and DT's diets and care are pretty much the same. Here's a care sheet for Sonoran Desert Tortoises that may help: http://www.azeah.com/care-sheets.asp?id=100. When I got my DT's they were rescues and juveniles, I expect their appetites were voracious because they hadn't been fed the right foods nor provided the proper environment for their first couple of years of life. The ate hay for hours a day everyday for several days. They loved dandelion greens as well as hibisucs flowers and rose petals.

I'm sure others here will jump in soon with how much you should expect them to be eating. If they are tiny hatchlings I would guess about a 1/4 c of greens twice a day at least. Their poop is tiny when they are hatchlings and can easily be missed in the substrate.

I hope others chime in soon to help.

Thanks for the link, lots of great info!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
erica anne said:
I really have three temps that run between 100- 95 during the day for basking and about 85 on the "cool side". I keep it around 80 at night. The cool side may drop to 77-78. I keep the under part of the substrate damp (coco coir) and soak daily. I bring them out in the sun almost every day for 30-60 min.

They are set up in a 55 gal tub with a mvb during the day and CHE at night. I provide humidity but am not certain if i should or how much and have coco coir substrate.They were previously housed outdoors with no heat. I do soak them daily.

This all sounds ideal to me. I'd give them a humid hide too. Night temps can drop a little more, but 80 is fine for babies in my experience.

Keep offering a wide variety of foods and give them some time to settle in.