Solar power waterpump/fountain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
I'm considering a solar pump for my spotted turtle pond (4' x 4' x 12"). Has anyone had experience with these ? Pros and cons.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That sounds like a better idea than what I use (extension cords).

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
Harbor Freight sells 2 types of solar powered pumps. One is a floating island that contains the pump and solar cells all in one unit. The other is a traditional pump with a small solar panel wired up to it.

My experience with the floating one is that the water flowing from the pump over the top of the solar cells causes deposits to form, eventually causing the pump to stop working until it has been cleaned off. My experience with the other pump is that it is severely under-powered and clogged easily. Neither had battery backups so they only operated during daylight.

So, I would not recommend either of these products for your turtles.

If you want to go solar, get a genuine panel/battery bank/inverter system and use it to power a traditional pump.

68merc

10 Year Member!
Fresno, CA
I bought the solar powered pump from harbor freight ... not worth trying it for a pond of any size. At 24 gph its just not enough flow and the solar panel that comes with it needs direct sun and not even a bit of shadow to work. I ended up plugging my pump in, I used a 12 volt power supply that I had in the
garage.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
This is what I suspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.