Soft shells-- On the way to recovery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I have 2 DT hatchlings (probably about 6 or so months old) and a 1 year and 3 month old Sulcata hatchling/juvenile. I have been trying to improve their care, and improve their slightly soft shells.

*I changed the substrate in their indoor enclosure to Eco-Earth, to help with the humidity.
*I changed their diet to Spring Mix, Mazuri, and other weeds from the yard. They go out in the natural sunlight to graze the lawn almost daily. I feed them every other day (the days I don't feed them, they still get to graze).
*I purchased calcium powder and am sprinkling that over their food, and I also believe there is calcium in the Mazuri as well.-- They also have cuttle bone in their indoor enclosure.

Yesterday, I noticed that one of the DT hatchlings had tiny things that looked like air bubbles under the little layer of the top of his shell. Any ideas as to what that could be?

Basically, what I want to know is if there is anything else I can do to improve their care and correct their soft shells?
They are all active, eating well, etc.

Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
young torts can have soft shells sometime even a year or two after still having them, but I would suggest susshine, if it is not already being administered.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Yes, they get natural sunshine almost everday. Should I be concerned about the little "air bubble" like things on the top of the shell?

Xastur

5 Year Member
I'm no expert but do you mind taking a photo of said air bubble.. I'm sure it will help out the guys in identifying what the problem might be.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
just so there is no confusion, did they turn hard then get soft all of the sudden or have they been soft?

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
I will try to get pictures today.

I had not noticed the soft shells before, but can not say for sure if they were soft and I just failed to notice prior. :(

The Sulcata's shells is harder than the DT's shells though.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Yes, Calcium and Vitamin D3. I just got it the other day, so have only used it once so far. They will get it again tomorrow with their prepared food.

I got new pictures of the tortoises, and will post them tonight.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what was thier care and diet before you changed it?
and apicture of the bubbles is necc to tell what it is.. or at least
help.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
They were on what the person I got the Sulcata hatchling from recommended-- dried grass for substrate (for their indoors enclosure) and went out almost daily to graze and get sunlight then too. Also, his recommendation was basically to just let them graze the lawn (grass, weeds, etc.). Errr.

As soon as I learned otherwise, I purchased some Mazuri, got them on leafy greens, bought seeds to grow native desert plants for them, bought some cactus... and changed their substrate.

OLD indoor enclosure (without the lids I had on top to help hold humidity)---

Tortoisenewandstuff001-1.jpg

NEW indoor enclosure (again, without the lids)---

Tortoisenewandstuff046.jpg

Tortoisenewandstuff053.jpg

The DT hatchlings (one has the "bubbles" worse than the other)---

Tortoisenewandstuff010.jpg

Tortoisenewandstuff011.jpg

Tortoisenewandstuff012.jpg

Tortoisenewandstuff025.jpg

Tortoisenewandstuff027.jpg

Tortoisenewandstuff033.jpg

The Sulcata (no bubbles present)---

Tortoisenewandstuff034.jpg

Tortoisenewandstuff035.jpg

(I am aware his shell is deformed/lopesided.)

Tortoisenewandstuff045.jpg

Tortoisenewandstuff055.jpg

How do their undersides look?-- (I just noticed one of the DT's has the spots/bubbles on the underside too.)

Sulcata:
Tortoisenewandstuff032.jpg

DT's:

Tortoisenewandstuff029.jpg

Tortoisenewandstuff031.jpg

Kessie

5 Year Member
I'm new here and I'm sorry I have no advice for you, but I just wanted to say that your babies are adorable!

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I sadly could not see any bubbles maybe my eyes maybe my comp, but at first glance they look healthy to me. I asked if you had noticed it before or was this new, if they were soft from the beginning then there is no worries babies start out soft and then they harden eventually, it could take a year or two, if they were hard then went soft then you have a problem and a vet visit is needed. but like I said just from the pics they look fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They look great to me and your care sounds right on. Personally, I would get calcium WITHOUT D3 if they are getting regular sunshine. It is possible to overdose. The only thing I see you could do to improve is a mercury vapor bulb inside, if you don't already have one.

I don't know what the "bubbles" are, so I'm hesitant to just guess. If it were only on the bottom, I might suggest some sort of shell rot between the layers as a possibility. Since its on the top too, I'm wondering if it doesn't have something to do with the (re)calcification of their shells.

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
Thanks for the info!

Yes, they get out almost everyday (especially now that it's warming up).
In regards to the nighttime bulb, would an incandescent night red heat bulb be okay? Also, I had been using an incandescent day white light bulb for the days they can't go outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.