Soft shell.. I think

KrisW

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
My two baby leopards ( less than 2 mo) were not doing well. I recently followed a lot of the advice here - got rid of Spiral uV , provided heat / humidity, and changes substrate. They seem to be better , at least 1 is but now both of their shells feel really really soft. I read babies have soft shells and maybe with the new heat it is better and their shells are better , or is it not enough UV ? How quickly can that happen? I just got rid of UV light less than a week ago and have been doing natural sunlight daily, not very long but daily ( the sun is really intense right now in Vegas ). Thoughts?

Ruszian Tortoise

TX
My two baby leopards ( less than 2 mo) were not doing well. I recently followed a lot of the advice here - got rid of Spiral uV , provided heat / humidity, and changes substrate. They seem to be better , at least 1 is but now both of their shells feel really really soft. I read babies have soft shells and maybe with the new heat it is better and their shells are better , or is it not enough UV? How quickly can that happen? I just got rid of UV light less than a week ago and have been doing natural sunlight daily, not very long but daily ( the sun is really intense right now in Vegas ). Thoughts?
Hi!
Well, I don't have leopards, as you can tell from my name... But I'm pretty sure if they're indoor, they need a heat/UV and a light source. If they're outdoor, the sun should be fine.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that's the case for all tortoises.
Edit:
Er... You said you provided heat... So maybe you have the light bulb. But I think all indoor tortoises need a... UVA? Light as well.
Hmm. Wish I knew someone to tag.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Can you please include photos of your setup and answer the following
1. Temperatures-Day/Night, Hot/Cold sides, HIde and type of heat sources
2. Light- UV and bulbs
3. Substrate-type and depth
4. Feeding-type and schedules/amounts
5. Soaking schedule and temps
6.Humidity in enclosure and hide