soaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maixx

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle Wa
I was curious about soaking and had a couple quick questions.

1. Temp?
I have been using the same rules as my snakes - their ambient, not the hot or cold end of their spectrum.

2. Duration?
3. Is there a point of to long or too often?

-Thanks

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Maixx said:
I was curious about soaking and had a couple quick questions.

1. Temp?
I have been using the same rules as my snakes - their ambient, not the hot or cold end of their spectrum.

2. Duration?
3. Is there a point of to long or too often?

-Thanks
1. Baby Bath warm. 2. Until the water turns cold, or they start practicing their swimming strokes.;)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup, Lynn is bang on......Warm water (tepid) I usually soak for minimum of 30 minutes and most times a bit more like 45 mins. if you have a youngin keeping the water warm is much more important IMHO than that of an adult... :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Just a personal observation, my russians hate to soak, I allow them to drink on their own.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
One of my CDTs Herman HATES HATES HATES to be soaked, so I do not force him....he does however, love to climb in and out of his water dish on his own and I have seen the water marks on his face multiple times from when he dips his head...he just does not like me to dip HIM....LOL :D

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I place mine of all species in tepid water, "knee deep" and keep them in there until they either drink and soil the water or they begin to attempt to climb out. I don't like leaving them in the water once they begin to panic. Some of mine will always sit and drink, some will occasionally drink and fewer others will not drink at all and begin to try to climb out. For the most part the Russians never like being placed directly in water. Could be because of the type of environment that they are from, hot and very dry when they're above ground.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use a thermometer and get my water right around 90 to start with. Then I keep it under a heat lamp in a warm room to keep it from cooling. I don't have russians but I soak all of my species anywhere from 10-60 minutes depending on the day and the situation. If its been really hot and dry I soak them longer. If its been cooler and I'm in a hurry, I keep it shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.