Soaking

avocado_fresh111

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
What temperature and how often should I soak my 2 and a half year old Russian tortoise? We soaked him yesterday right after we got him for 20 minutes in what began as lukewarm water, but it quickly cooled down.

jeneliza

burton michigan
Not sure about Russian, but I do my redfoot, she is 11, or so two - three times a week in a full bath, but I keep a little pond like pool in my encloser so she can do a shallow bath her self, plus it helps keep my encloser moist, plus I have a little self fill water dish , to drink from if she does sit in her pond, and the water get pushed out, I use to do larger baths every day but she hates so much, that the pond idea is better for her, she will sit in it at least once a day,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What temperature and how often should I soak my 2 and a half year old Russian tortoise? We soaked him yesterday right after we got him for 20 minutes in what began as lukewarm water, but it quickly cooled down.
What size Russian, and where did you get it? This affects the answer to how often to soak. If this is a pet store tortoise that was recently imported, I'd soak every day for a couple of weeks. If its a CB baby raised by someone who was doing things right, then a couple of times a week is plenty.

When you do soak, the water temps should be 85-95. Do it somewhere warm like in the enclosure near the heat lamp, so the water stays warmer. Or you can replace the water with warmer water every few minutes during the soak. You'll have to figure out s system that works for you.