Soaking outside torts. Really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgately

5 Year Member
I let my three Russian torts free roam in my large backyard. They seem to be thriving. All are heavy and pooping like crazy! I want them to have as natural a life as I can possibly give them here in SoCal. Some parts of my yard are dry, some parts are more humid. They have lots of good food to eat all over the yard. The sprinklers go on every other day. They also have a large shallow water dish available at all times.

This has got to be a far less arid habitat than where they come from.

Is it really necessary to soak them?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Everyones definition of "necessary" is different. I soak all of mine. Remember SoCal is all a desert.

fgately

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom.

I absolutely agree about SoCal being a desert. We also have way more water than we naturally should have because of aqueducts and such, and certainly more than the REALLY harsh habitat they come from. I picked Russian torts because they seem to be the toughest and most adaptable tort in the world (at least to my knowledge they are). The humidity levels in my yard are much higher than they would be if they were housed inside my home, and the levels vary during an average day quite a bit. It is pretty dry during the hottest parts of the day, and they usually dig down and hide in some humid soil. At night, there is usually some level of dew, or the sprinklers come on. Seems to me this would be more than adequate moisture levels. I may very well be overlooking something here, so please express opinions!

What are some other thoughts out there?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
While I am only miles from Tom, I have to say, your yard seems ideal and if they are making use of the sprinklers and water bowl, your job is done...WELL DONE!:)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I know lots of people will have different answers, I have 3 russians outside all year long until hiberntion, and I have a giant water dish for them I clean it out 3 to 4 times a day. I would say if you see them drinking on there own, then soaking is not needed.

radhika

5 Year Member
DeanS said:
While I am only miles from Tom, I have to say, your yard seems ideal and if they are making use of the sprinklers and water bowl, your job is done...WELL DONE!:)

I to feel the same there is no need so soaking them.

fgately

5 Year Member
I don't ever see them drinking. But they do love to nap in damp, not wet, soil. They eat very well, and the poops look healthy. They just look, and act, like a tort should! I am a very experienced parrot owner (actually they own me) and I believe I have that "sense" about their health that I have developed over the 30 years of having birds. I hope I am developing that same sense with my torties.

Again, great replies. Thanks.

"May we all live as long as a healthy tortoise!"

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Frank I would love to see pics of your torts and birds :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When I had to keep Russians in an indoor habitat for whatever reason, I figured they had to be soaked because of the lights drying them out, so I faithfully soaked them a couple times a week. They absolutely hated it. Scrambled, pooped, tried to get out, frantic, etc.

In their outdoor pen, those same frantic tortoises go into their waterer on their own and sit and soak and drink. Same water, just different circumstances.

If you see your tortoises making use of the waterer, I would think there would be no reason to soak them. However, if I have babies outside, even if they do have a waterer, I still soak them at least once a week. It would kill me if I lost one to dehydration.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
It sounds like they are doing well in your yard. I keep mine outside also and provide a water area for drinking and cooling off. I don't see them in it usually, so I'll go place them in it every few days. They will usually drink immediately which makes me wonder if they visit the water while I'm gone or not. I don't think you need to soak them, but do make sure they are drinking every few days.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
fgately said:
I let my three Russian torts free roam in my large backyard. They seem to be thriving. All are heavy and pooping like crazy! I want them to have as natural a life as I can possibly give them here in SoCal. Some parts of my yard are dry, some parts are more humid. They have lots of good food to eat all over the yard. The sprinklers go on every other day. They also have a large shallow water dish available at all times.

This has got to be a far less arid habitat than where they come from.

Is it really necessary to soak them?

It can't hurt...my torts live outside and have a very large water area, but I stll soak 'em 2X a week...no downside to it!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I don't soak my outside tortoises. Instead, daily, I use the sprinkler. They all, Redfoots, Russians, and Hingebacks, head right for the sprinkler as soon as it goes on. The Russians pee and drink at the same time, and let the water cascade over them. So do the others.

fgately

5 Year Member
How do I post photos? I fugured out the avatar, but cant seem to figure out how to post pictures in my posts. Help! I looked in FAQs and that didn't seem to have an answer.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I don't often soak my outdoor sulcatas or russians. I just make sure they have access to water (unlike dmmj, I don't bother with, or have time to, clean mine out more than once a day, if that...) and shade and plenty of fresh weeds and grass. Every few weeks, i may pick one up and put him in his water dish, but not because I think they really need it. I also love to spray them with the hose when I'm changing their water. My big sullie comes running to be sprayed :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Unless we are talking hatchlings, I wouldn't be soaking them. Sounds like they have the water dish there, the nice fresh food, damp soil, sprinklers, and the occasional natural water elements (dew, rain). Sounds like they have a great life!

fgately

5 Year Member
They move slowly, eat healthy. and always seem relaxed. No wonder they friggin live so long!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
fgately said:
How do I post photos? I fugured out the avatar, but cant seem to figure out how to post pictures in my posts. Help! I looked in FAQs and that didn't seem to have an answer.

To put the pic in your post:
b]

for instance,
tortoise.jpg +
=
tortoise.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.