So would this work for outdoor heating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Hey all, I am setting up my outdoor winter home for my sullies. Lately I have been bringing them in, but I think its best to make it fully functional outside.

So currently I have a ~90 enclosure that is 3'H, 2'W, 2'H. The walls are straw, and will have a plywood top and a clear rubber door flaps that is east facing. So I am going to be useing ceramic "bulbs" with a caged domeless light fixture attached to a rheostat. The winter temps can get in the lo 40s with the occansional frost.

So would I be fine with 1 150w ceramic, or should I get 2? Whats the best way to attach them to plywood?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm a little worried about the straw and heat sources.

I screw eye-screws into the ceiling (plywood) and then tie the light/CHE fixture to the eye-screw.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
emysemys said:
I'm a little worried about the straw and heat sources.

I screw eye-screws into the ceiling (plywood) and then tie the light/CHE fixture to the eye-screw.

I use the straw for humidity, I can make it a total box though. I plan on putting in misters for heat and humidity control in the summer. My underground bunker is onhold till next fall.

How many CHE do you use? How cold does it get outside/inside?

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I think you are going to have to build it and test the temps. Instead of straw maybe cinder block on the sides? or just make sure the CHE is not to close to the straw.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I worry about the straw letting cold air in. I'm not visualizing straw walls very well I'm afraid. I would want something that is solid all the way around. With temps that cold, I'd want a heat mat in combination with a CHE or blacklight. Here's what I do in Southern CA. Maybe it will give you some ideas for what might work for you.
http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Heated-Den-Boxes

And Motero is right. You'll have to run it a few nights with the torts still indoors and test the temps. I adjust my set-ups all the time.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Its a full bale of straw, its actually warmer then the ambient air, hold humidity really well in the summer.

Do you just keep them all on/off or use a rheo/thermostat? I found a rheostat that can handle up to 500w, but I am unsure what I would do with the mat. Can I use both a mat and a CHE on a rheostat? I have found a alarmed thermometer.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Straw+water=mold.

Take it from a girl that grew up on a farm and raised horses.

Mold+tortoise=respiratory problems.

Not a good idea, IMHO.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Jermosh said:
Its a full bale of straw, its actually warmer then the ambient air, hold humidity really well in the summer.

Do you just keep them all on/off or use a rheo/thermostat? I found a rheostat that can handle up to 500w, but I am unsure what I would do with the mat. Can I use both a mat and a CHE on a rheostat? I have found a alarmed thermometer.
[/quote
A thermostat would work better. You can set the temp and not have to worry about it. With a rheostat, depending on your temperatures, you may have to make frequent small adjustments.
You can combine as long as the wattage doesn't exceed what the thermostat/rheostat is designed for.
I can send a picture of how I attach a light to the top to provide heat. It will cost less than $10.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
kyryah said:
Straw+water=mold.

Take it from a girl that grew up on a farm and raised horses.

Mold+tortoise=respiratory problems.

Not a good idea, IMHO.

Good point, I have not seen any though. But I am thinking about going the way Tom did, scanning the local classifieds now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine are all on thermostats. Each thermostat can handle 1000 watts. The brand is "A Life" and I bought them about two years ago from LLL Reptile. I've got 8 of them around my ranch and they all work perfectly with a variety of heating devices.

Jermosh

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Tom said:
Mine are all on thermostats. Each thermostat can handle 1000 watts. The brand is "A Life" and I bought them about two years ago from LLL Reptile. I've got 8 of them around my ranch and they all work perfectly with a variety of heating devices.

So do you have a CHE and Heat pad on one thermostat? I am just worried that the pad will get hotter then the CHE I quess.

Status
Not open for further replies.