So now I'm worried

SteveW

Anybody seen an 'upper lip' like this? It's uniform on both sides, so that seems like it would be either fine or a crisis. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452226903.034389.jpg

And no, I'm not going to put honey on it. :)
Otherwise, all suggestions are appreciated.

yillt

Anybody seen an 'upper lip' like this? It's uniform on both sides, so that seems like it would be either fine or a crisis. View attachment 161437

Maybe it would help if we had a few more pictures and an inside the mouth one. Somethings different with his mouth and face but I can't pin point what. @YvonneG will come soon and help us all

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Are you talking about the black area? That's usually just stain from what they've been eating. For some reason, green leaves/grass/etc. turns black on the beak. (Poop too, just sayin')

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is the tortoise in question eating and behaving normally?

Yes. Please save all the honey for my dinner rolls. Mmmmm... You can do whatever you want with your patchouli oil. I have no use for that.

yillt

Is the tortoise in question eating and behaving normally?

Yes. Please save all the honey for my dinner rolls. Mmmmm... You can do whatever you want with your patchouli oil. I have no use for that.
Was the last bit intended? :oops::D

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Anybody seen an 'upper lip' like this? It's uniform on both sides, so that seems like it would be either fine or a crisis. View attachment 161437

Have you been able to see the inside of her mouth? If it looks ok (nice/healthy/pink), she's acting ok, eating well, then I'd just watch for couple of days and see if this is indeed "food stain" as Yvonne suggested but then I'd expect it to dissapear. Does her face around her mouth look ok to you otherwise? You know your tort's "normal" better than anyone

SteveW

Ok, mystery solved. Apparently a chunk of opuntia was drug off and saved against hard times (as one does). The subsequent blackening of the cacti in no way lessened its appeal.

Thanks to all for input.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok, mystery solved. Apparently a chunk of opuntia was drug off and saved against hard times (as one does). The subsequent blackening of the cacti in no way lessened its appeal.

Thanks to all for input.

You put honey on it, didn't you?