snapping turtle need rescue

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindleftbody

5 Year Member
Hello,

My mother in southeast Michigan has a fairly large snapping turtle that she can no longer care for. We need to release it in the wild or give it away. We would like to do so in a place and manner where it would have the best chance of survival. Any recommendations on what to do or where to find information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Just FYI most states have laws against releasing a pet back into the wild even native species. I would check first and see if it is legal to do so.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I don't know Michigan law, but in general, you should never release a captive bred pet back into the wild. They have the potential to carry parasites or diseases that could decimate a population in the wild. Your best bet is to try and find someone to adopt it, or contact a local or state turtle club and see if they know of any agencies that will help you find him a new home.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Maybe someone here can step up! I would take it in a heartbeat...but you know that package will NEVER make it to my front door...fu**ing California laws!:(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mindleftbody:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name?

It would be best if your mother can find a turtle club or rescue and give the turtle to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.