Smelly enclosure

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
My two DTs live outside during the day, and sleep inside in Rubbermaids on orchid bark. Their indoor boxes are starting to smell a bit ripe. I spot clean the poops, but I haven't switched out the substrate since May. How often do others out there change/clean their indoor substrates?

Since my guys will be brumating, I figured I'd just wait till they go down for the winter to dump out the substrate and clean the boxes. I'm guessing that'll happen in the next week or two. But in the meantime - peeeee ewww. I guess it's the urine making it stinky? Does anyone else have this problem?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no knowledge of what I am asking, so, just asking. However, I didn't think torts that brumate, would do so if they were brought in the house when temps got colder. Don't they need the temp changes of the outside to be able to prepare themselves for it?

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
I haven't changed my substrate (topsoil and coco coir) and it still gives off the good smell like a green house.

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
wellington said:
I have no knowledge of what I am asking, so, just asking. However, I didn't think torts that brumate, would do so if they were brought in the house when temps got colder. Don't they need the temp changes of the outside to be able to prepare themselves for it?

This is our first year with them, so we'll find out. But with their previous keeper they lived indoors 24/7 and still brumated. They have no heat source in their indoor nightboxes, so it's getting down to low 60s now for them at night. They're definitely slowing down.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How deep is the substrate? perhaps remove a couple inches of the top and add new fresh substrate...this should clear some of the "scent o tortoise" ....

Here is where it can get tricky; if you are going to brumate a tort there is a process that generally goes into the event....you have an entire tortoise season of feeding, hydrating, sunning, exercising and such...then the weather begins to gradually cool and the day shortens and their evolutionary clock begins to wind down in preparation for their sleep....so, if you are going to brumate then the entire process is desirable....if you bring them indoors at night (unless of course you know there is going to be cold and rain) as a practice then the part of the gradual cool down is skipped...well, in my opinion there is much more that goes into their brumation....while it is better to let cool and set off all triggers---it is also, in my opinion and observation, an evolutionary pull that they usually have a hard time ignoring---so this is why when a tort that brumate has to be kept awake for a winter season or two--it is a challenge to the host because it is a constant pestering that has to happen to simply keep the tort forced up and awake....

Yes, it is better to let the tort cool (and since you are going to brumate, you already have a cool, dark, dry and quiet place set up for this) you can even let the tort remain out as late as you are able to and then gently move the tort into the hibernacle each night without heat or light....

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
ascott said:
How deep is the substrate? perhaps remove a couple inches of the top and add new fresh substrate...this should clear some of the "scent o tortoise" ....

Here is where it can get tricky; if you are going to brumate a tort there is a process that generally goes into the event....you have an entire tortoise season of feeding, hydrating, sunning, exercising and such...then the weather begins to gradually cool and the day shortens and their evolutionary clock begins to wind down in preparation for their sleep....so, if you are going to brumate then the entire process is desirable....if you bring them indoors at night (unless of course you know there is going to be cold and rain) as a practice then the part of the gradual cool down is skipped...well, in my opinion there is much more that goes into their brumation....while it is better to let cool and set off all triggers---it is also, in my opinion and observation, an evolutionary pull that they usually have a hard time ignoring---so this is why when a tort that brumate has to be kept awake for a winter season or two--it is a challenge to the host because it is a constant pestering that has to happen to simply keep the tort forced up and awake....

Yes, it is better to let the tort cool (and since you are going to brumate, you already have a cool, dark, dry and quiet place set up for this) you can even let the tort remain out as late as you are able to and then gently move the tort into the hibernacle each night without heat or light....

The substrate is about 6 inches of orchid bark, which the torts have dug pallets in that go down to the floor of the Rubbermaid.

So are you saying that instead of putting them into their night boxes at night, we should start putting them into their brumation boxes at night?

They're definitely picking up on some environmental cues even though they sleep indoors. Their days are shorter and nights are cooler, and both have lost interest in food and sleep more than they do anything else.

At any rate, I'll try scooping out some substrate. Today is soak day, too, which oughta freshen them up.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So are you saying that instead of putting them into their night boxes at night, we should start putting them into their brumation boxes at night?

They're definitely picking up on some environmental cues even though they sleep indoors. Their days are shorter and nights are cooler, and both have lost interest in food and sleep more than they do anything else.

I suppose what I am getting at is this....anything that you can do to "buffer" their natural cycle is what should be the goal...I mean, I do not believe in forcing a brumation period,...I really don't. But I do support offering up the most successful environment in which a brumating speices can play out what is natural to them...does that make sense? I think you really need to become in tune with your torts and variables are always in play.....:D