Small "wart"?? Help!

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bergen, Norway
IMGP0559.JPG IMGP0562.JPG IMGP0569.JPG A couple of weeks ago i noticed a dark spot on my torts neck. I thought it was just old skin that would fall off.

This morning I noticed that it is still there, and has gotten bigger. It looks like a wart. What is this?

It doen't look like hes affected by it now, he acts all normal, he has a good apetite avd everything else about him seems to be ok. Anyone, please help - I'm worried! Especially because he has another spot on the other side of his neck that looks like the first "wart" looked two weeks ago.

It's a male Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri, 16 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

phebe121

I wounder if he tucked his head into fast and hit his shell

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
Thanks for your answer! Any other opinions would be appriciated.

The "wart" is a bit elevated, its not flat. It looks just like a wart or a blister. The other spot just looks like dark, hard skin.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It looks like a wound that is healing. If it were me, I'd apply a tiny bit of antibiotic ointment with a Q-tip and watch it for a few days. Is he out doors? could it be something has bitten him?

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
He has his own indoor enclosure, and he has not been outside since August.

Im worried it could be an abscess..

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Does not look like and abscess in the photos....have you looked at it with a magnifying glass? to see if it is a sore or if it is something biting in?

ChloeCrull

Fresno, California
Hi there, TheNorwegian!

At first glance, I was concerned. However, in the second (or third?) picture, it looks like a blister that was rubbed or cut open. There doesn't appear to be any sign of alarming leakage or fluids around the area. It doesn't appear to be red or inflamed, so I would not be too worried. Monitor your little guy over the next and perhaps clean it with salt water. If it worsens, contact your local vet right away.

TheNorwegian

5 Year Member
Bergen, Norway
I have now found out what caused this. When hes really hyperactive he scratches himself up. I found it out a couple of days ago when he was really hyperactive and had managed to make small wounds on each side of his neck. It looks much better now, so I'm not too concerned anymore. Thank you all for helping me with this :)