SMALL BREEDS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMG ISLAND3R

5 Year Member
Hello, I have 5 turtles now but they are all getting pretty big. Can someone please list some of the smaller breeds and show some pics if possible? Thanks so much.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The mud/musk turtles stay pretty small.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Male map turtles, spotteds, 3 striped mud, mississipi mud, yellow mud, common musk, loggerheads, razorbacks, and male southern/midland painted. This list is only of the smaller NA aquatic/semi aquatics and these are the ones that aren't hard to care for. Sure, there are tons of other small exotic breeds, but that list is pretty long. Here's an article on exotics; http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articles/ATP Guide to Choosing an Exotic Turtle.htm

TMG ISLAND3R

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
Male map turtles, spotteds, 3 striped mud, mississipi mud, yellow mud, common musk, loggerheads, razorbacks, and male southern/midland painted. This list is only of the smaller NA aquatic/semi aquatics and these are the ones that aren't hard to care for. Sure, there are tons of other small exotic breeds, but that list is pretty long. Here's an article on exotics; http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articles/ATP Guide to Choosing an Exotic Turtle.htm

WOW!!!! Great thread. Thanks so much. I am going to get some of the smaller breeds. I cant wait. I would also like to get some of the more rare breeds as well. I have a chance to get 2 baby fly rivers for 250.00cad each. but I will need to ship them. They are awesome little turts. Thanks so much guys. If you have some pics of your turtle setups please post them for me?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
TMG ISLAND3R said:
tortoises101 said:

WOW!!!! Great thread. Thanks so much. I am going to get some of the smaller breeds. I cant wait. I would also like to get some of the more rare breeds as well. I have a chance to get 2 baby fly rivers for 250.00cad each. but I will need to ship them. They are awesome little turts. Thanks so much guys. If you have some pics of your turtle setups please post them for me?

I would love to see your FRT's when you get them. My idea of a setup is a very large indoor pond (upwards of 1000 gallons and at least 3 ft deep) or even better, an outdoor pond weather permitting. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ns-cellar-Britains-biggest-home-aquarium.html
Here's a pretty good idea of a FRT setup minus the fish. One thing though, your enclosure doesn't have to be THAT large, and you can also consider planting some Vallisneria or Java fern around the edges.

TMG ISLAND3R

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
TMG ISLAND3R said:
tortoises101 said:

I would love to see your FRT's when you get them. My idea of a setup is a very large indoor pond (upwards of 1000 gallons and at least 3 ft deep) or even better, an outdoor pond weather permitting. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ns-cellar-Britains-biggest-home-aquarium.html
Here's a pretty good idea of a FRT setup minus the fish. One thing though, your enclosure doesn't have to be THAT large, and you can also consider planting some Vallisneria or Java fern around the edges.

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the craziest thing I ever seen and I love it. Its amazing. Thats something I would definatly do if I had the cash. Actually, If I had the cash I would build a mansion with nothing but aquariums and exotic reptiles and everything else.
On a different note. I found this site:
http://www.turtlesale.com/home/
PLEASE check out the beautiful little turts and torts this place has and they will ship everything they have to Canada?? I am so excited. I am gonna get some really neat little turts. I cant wait to show you guys and girls some pics and hopefully some day I will know as much as you guys. I have only been here for a week or so and you all have been so so awesome. I cannot thank you enough.
So if you guys have more pics of your turtles and there homes so I can get some ideas I would really appreciate it.
Take care and god bless.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
TMG ISLAND3R said:
tortoises101 said:
TMG ISLAND3R said:
tortoises101 said:

Holy crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the craziest thing I ever seen and I love it. Its amazing. Thats something I would definatly do if I had the cash. Actually, If I had the cash I would build a mansion with nothing but aquariums and exotic reptiles and everything else.
On a different note. I found this site:
http://www.turtlesale.com/home/
PLEASE check out the beautiful little turts and torts this place has and they will ship everything they have to Canada?? I am so excited. I am gonna get some really neat little turts. I cant wait to show you guys and girls some pics and hopefully some day I will know as much as you guys. I have only been here for a week or so and you all have been so so awesome. I cannot thank you enough.
So if you guys have more pics of your turtles and there homes so I can get some ideas I would really appreciate it.
Take care and god bless.

Turtlesale is a bad place to buy. I hear many many people complaining that their turtles arrive dead or crushed, and that they don't pack their animals well. Any vendors like those cannot ship to Canada I guarantee you (any pet you have must come from/be bred in Canada). There are hardly any breeders in Canada either. Try looking at the kijiji ads for some turtles, or the Reptiles Canada classifieds.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The chinese reeve turtle is another small species, though to be honest I don't know if they are easily available in canada.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
dmmj said:
The chinese reeve turtle is another small species, though to be honest I don't know if they are easily available in canada.

They're not easily available in Canada. The only 'common' turtle in Canada is an RES.

TMG ISLAND3R

5 Year Member
I am starting to see that we really dont have a very good selection here in canada but I am still looking. Thanks for all the help guys.
Also, any pics of your enclosures???

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
TMG ISLAND3R said:
I am starting to see that we really dont have a very good selection here in canada but I am still looking. Thanks for all the help guys.
Also, any pics of your enclosures???

Yeah, Canada doesn't have a lot of breeders that are regularly producing. If you want to know some breeders you can shoot me a pm.

I don't keep any tortoises/turtles, but I do have some humble ideas. What enclosure are you planning on?

Status
Not open for further replies.