Slow growth or was I misinformed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelsamye

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
So I got Maximus on march 6th, I was told he was a year old, my instinct told me he looked a bit small for that age, and after reading a lot in this forum it sounds like he's definitely small if he's really a year old. The guy I got him from didn't seem like the most informed or honest sulcata keeper, he was kept very dry, fed the wrong diet, and was already starting to pyramid. Could those conditions cause slow growth?

I've got him in a much better house now, and I keep it humid and I'm pretty much following everything I've read on this forum for keeping baby sulcatas.
Here's a couple pictures for reference on his size and pyramiding.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365886441.120744.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365886461.782728.jpg

Amy
Sulcata tortoise - Maximus

Last edited by a moderator:

erica anne

5 Year Member
I had a similar scenario. I got my Sulcata from the pet store and was told that he was eight-12 months old. He only measured 2 1/2 inches and looked very much like your tort (which is adorable!) He is now "two years old" and after looking at the at pictures on here with torts of all different ages I feel that they didn't really know how old he was and that he was probably much younger than what they told me. Since I have often wondered the same thing I will be interested to see what responses you get.Your little guy has some pyramiding but your in the right place to get some great info!

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
Cute little guy! They all grow at different rates. Some more experienced folks here may weigh in on this, but to me he looks kinda small for a year. It's a good thing you got him when you did, though, because he does look like he's starting to pyramid, and you can keep it from progressing. What a cutie!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The conditions you mentioned from the previous owner would make him grow slower. Slow growth with proper care is not a bad thing. Slow growth with bad care is not good. Sounds like you have him on the right track. You should see some changes in no time.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Improper care most definitely affects growth, my Tank had a poor start and he's a fraction of other Sullys his age. Follow the advise here and he'll be just fine. Silver lining is that he's portable when he's small!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're lucky that there isn't much growth there, because what there IS, is pyramided. If he had done much more growing before you got him he would be much worse. It's important now for you to keep him hydrated. But you really should start slowly. You don't want to over-stress his system with too much water too quickly. A nice, humid hide is in order too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If all goes well they should reach at least 4" by 12 months. If things were dry and the diet was poor, things did not go well for this baby. Sounds like he'll do much better in your care.

I have some 11 month olds that are over 6", just for comparison. All went well with them. :)

Nelsamye

5 Year Member
Seattle, WA
Thanks everyone! I definitely don't mind that he's small and cute right now haha, but I do want to make sure that he's healthy and that any new growth comes in smooth. Glad I found this forum! I'll keep posting as he grows more and we'll see if his growth speeds up now that I've got him in more ideal housing conditions.

Amy
Sulcata tortoise - Maximus

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just remember. They are NOT desert animals. Hot and dry= BAD. Hot and Humid= GOOD. I have had the best results simulating the African rainy season in large closed chambers.

Status
Not open for further replies.