Size Question

SarahTorterra

I have a very basic question: When a tortoise is described as being X", what dimension is being measured? Is is the shell circumference, length front to back, or something else?

Tyanna

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Just the carapace. From front to back, not the head or tail, etc.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The top shell is the carapace front to back. Some will also measure the bottom shell, however it's to the edge of the top shell if that makes sense.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No,
Whoops, sorry. :oops: My mistake.
I miss explained what I was trying to say and hit post reply too soon. You just don't want to measure around the top shell, so you are really measuring the plastron, but to where the carapace starts and ends. If that makes any sense.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The top shell is the carapace front to back. Some will also measure the bottom shell, however it's to the edge of the top shell if that makes sense.

This still really isn't stated right. You want to measure from the bottom, not up and over the top shell.
Sorry, I can't think of the right way to word this. Ugh, the link already posted will explain what I'm trying to get too. LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tortoises are measured "straight carapace length" or SCL. You push your tortoise up against the wall so his head is withdrawn. Then you measure from the wall to his tail, but only the shell, not the tail.