silver fish & playpen

Status
Not open for further replies.

taurusgi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I have these are 2 totally seperated questions but I guess it's ok if I post it under "general discussion"?

I saw a silver fish running on the cypress bedding I have for my Hermannns Blacky this morning! The first thought I had in my head was "get your dirty feet out of my Blacky's home!" and then I killed it with a paper towel. My question is could silver fish do any harm to my 1 month old baby? I know silver fish like woods and paper so I guess the cypress substrate is very appealing to them. :(

Also I'm wondering if I can use playpen when I bring my tortoise outdoor? something like this
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3006740

I want to bring Blacky out by the pool when it's sunny, but I'm not sure if I should bring her whole home to the pool with me, or I can just set up a playpen with some food and water when I take her out? Can I drive her to the park? Would it be bad if I transport her for sunny outdoor purpose?

Also sometimes I can see her chin and her front legs are all twiching a little bit, seem like breathing to me? is it normal for them to breathe like that?

thank you very much if anyone could help! Maybe I'm just paranoid since i'm a new mom! :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The silver fish won't hurt anything.

I like those playpens. Here's some more ideas:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-14680.html?highlight=sunning+enclosure

Just male sure Blacky always has about half shade over her enclosure.

I would never take my tortoises to a public park. They use all sorts of chemicals there and who knows what else gets brought in by the people. I won't take puppies to a public park either. Even if the guy at the park tells you they use nothing, he might not know about what the other 20 county employees are doing when he's not around. The head gardener at my mother in laws condo facility swears they use nothing, but I've seen his guys spraying weed killer and ant pesticides. He probably doesn't even know. Or maybe he's just telling me what he thinks I want to hear.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
What kind of tort is Blacky? Anytime that torts can catch some rays is good :)

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
Thank you Tom, that tread has lots of great idea! I need to have a "portable playpen" because my patio doesn't get that much of sun so i want to take her to the pool area in my apt complex. Would she get shocked if I try to move her and put her in a new playpen every once a while? I read it in some treads saying that they don't like to change environment too much...

Missy, she is a Hermanns tortoise and she is only 1 month old! :) I notice that it has been really hot in my apt lately... about 100~105 degree during the day time even at night it's almost 90 degree! so she has been staying at the cool side of her home these 2 days.. Is it too hot for her? :p

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've always just put my torts where I want them to be and they adapt. I don't cater to their "feelings" as much as some. I just do what I think is best for them and go about my business. However, some caution is warranted with such a young baby. A little stress from moving around is not necessarily bad, especially if the benefits of sunshine come with it. Too much stress on the other hand is not good. If the appetite or activity level changes, you might need to back off on the traveling routine a bit.

105 all over the entire enclosure is too hot. That's fine for a small basking spot, if the rest of the enclosure is cooler. You need to take steps to keep the temps in the low 90's at most. I would also remove any supplemental heat sources when temps are getting that high. Be careful with those temps. You are courting disaster. Its not good for you either, BTW.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
taurusgi said:
Thank you Tom, that tread has lots of great idea! I need to have a "portable playpen" because my patio doesn't get that much of sun so i want to take her to the pool area in my apt complex. Would she get shocked if I try to move her and put her in a new playpen every once a while? I read it in some treads saying that they don't like to change environment too much...

Missy, she is a Hermanns tortoise and she is only 1 month old! :) I notice that it has been really hot in my apt lately... about 100~105 degree during the day time even at night it's almost 90 degree! so she has been staying at the cool side of her home these 2 days.. Is it too hot for her? :p

When my Mortimer[Sulcata] started to outgrow his "plastic" home, I moved him into a "human baby" PAC-N-PLAY enclosure. I was able to find used ones at a thrift store and after scrubbing clean---set it up for Morty.I used an old piece of a wood pole[secured across the top] where I hung his lights at different ends and middle and at the correct height. I did line it with a shower curtain[even though it was waterproof] before I added substrate. As he grew, I just added on another pac-n-play by cutting the mess at two ends and securing them to each other[making sort of a tunnel]. Worked very well for a year---it is totally portable[was outside every day our weather would permit---he was totally protected and off the floor in my house. And I was able to move it by myself--wherever I wanted it to be. Just a suggestion---BTW-- the "pens" only cost me $5 each.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Not too much freaks me out, but all I can say is them there silverfish are the creepiest creatures I've ever seen. I've had nightmares they're crawling across me when I'm sleeping cause I see one in the basement every now and then. And yes, all 250 lbs of me go running upstairs screaming like a little schoolgirl.

taurusgi

5 Year Member
CA
It's a bummer that I have to shut the blinds so that my apt won't get too hot during th day. Now she only gets the "fake" light but not the natural sunlight anymore... :( guess I really have to take her outside on the weekends now! :)

and WOW Annieski, the human baby pen is such a great idea too! never thought of that... I'll have to remember this after Blacky out grows her plastic home. thanks for sharing!

I totally agree with you, Harris. The silverfish are so creepy!! they are all over the place in my apt... always give me chills! But at least they are better than termites I guess........

Status
Not open for further replies.