Silly Idea, Please advise

Hillman

sI'm wondering if it's a swarm with 80%+ humidity that a hatchling needs, can I build my enclosure like those turtles tank and just reverse the proportion of lands and water to 90% land 10% running water (clean and drinkable) underneath (powered by a fish tank filter), then heat up the water to 80+ degree with an underwater heater.

My ideal setup is 50% of Glossostigma elatinoides on a leveled arcylic platform with water flowing undernerath, a swimming pool of 10% (1.5cm depth), 20% of planting area which Dantellion, Plantain etc will be planted, 20% of a "Dry" basking area which allows the tortoise to get their foot away from water.

I know it's a silly and overthought idea, but thats what I think, I need the moist but i hate when the substrate get stinks or go mouldy. I have been building fish tanks for water plants and drawf shrimps for over 10years and im more confident with water than solid substrate, especially when they are wet... of course, it will only come when that fits my baby tortoise....

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I don't see why you couldn't .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your tort will still need a substrate. It could all work in my opinion, except I would worry if the tort could get into,the water end and drown or not able to get out. If you got those covered, I don't know why you can't make it work. We need to see pics when you have it finished, please

leopard777

5 Year Member
hmm why not , i am thinking of making one too , a raise bottom with waterfall , java moss as base , humidity will be a breeze to maintain

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Ditto to what Wellington said

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

leopard777

5 Year Member
some idea videos ,build it in a larger scale will be nice, not mine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It could work in theory, but putting it into practice will be the challenge. I'd love to see what you come up with.

Hillman

It could work in theory, but putting it into practice will be the challenge. I'd love to see what you come up with.

hope everything is OK! my tort seems quite enjoy.... now he is playing with a dwarf shrimp that climb up from the water...

IMG_0518.JPG

leopard777

5 Year Member
dont see any glosso thou , that patch of green looks like hc to me