Shy Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Running Elk

5 Year Member
I have a shy EBT male that was originally wild caught and rehomed to me. He's SO PRETTY, literally bright orange. He's also unfortunately very shy. Is there any way to make him come out of his shell shell more? (Pun intended, sort of). I'd like to hold him and socialize with him some, but if I have him out he literally won't open his shell even a millimeter. I have played with numerous wild box turtles in my life and never have I seen one this shy. He also has two cage mates who are very bold. Any advice?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How long have you had him? Also, where the pic? We would like to see how pretty he is:D. If you recently got him, give him some time. Older ones and WC ones, can take longer then hatchlings.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
The more you talk to them and spend time with them, the faster they will come out of their shell. But everything is new and scary right now..it just takes time.

caligull

5 Year Member
Give the little guy some time. Spend time with him, so he becomes use to you and realizes that you are safe. :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Finding what food is a favorite and hand feeding with that food will surely help. I've had several shy ones over the years that completely changed with hand feedings. Though it takes many many patient hours, once they grow confidence in you they often seem like different turtles.

With that said I did have a few that have remained shy despite my efforts.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Some wild caught adults take years to stop being shy. It might be better if you handle him for his benefit only when you need to, rather than for playtime. He doesn't want to play or socialize. He's expecting to be eaten & you're toying with him. From his perspective it's not play, it's terror.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
While some will always be somewhat shy. I have found that the more they're handled, the bolder they get. This is especially true with young ones.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
johnsonnboswell said:
Some wild caught adults take years to stop being shy. It might be better if you handle him for his benefit only when you need to, rather than for playtime. He doesn't want to play or socialize. He's expecting to be eaten & you're toying with him. From his perspective it's not play, it's terror.

I agree. Some WC box turtles never get friendly. I would also suggest leaving him alone. Put the food down the same time each day, and when he see's the other's eating (if you have him with any others) he will eventually see you are only there to give out the food, not to make him the food.

Running Elk

5 Year Member
I usually don't bother him because he seems so unhappy with it. In the past I've played with wild boxxies and they usually got used to me. He doesn't get any better when I handle him so I usually leave him be.

I'll take a picture when I see him again. He's been buried since noon today. I only see him sometimes, and I never dig up my turtles unless I have to for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.