Should I exchange my baby tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse977

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
After buying my first sulcata baby I noticed that he had a big umbilical scar that hasnt healed. I called the guy that sold him to me and he said he would exchange him for another baby that had the scar already healed up. I went to go look at them and they do look bigger/healthier and most important there is no umbilical scar even though they are about a week younger then the one I have. I hate to do this but Im thinking of exchanging him. What do you guys think I should do.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It would be hard to do, but if the others are looking bigger and healthier, I would exchange. Some torts just don't thrive and yours may be one of them, seeing its smaller and not healed yet like the others that are younger.

Btw, if you haven't yet, read and follow Toms great threads below in my post for raising sulcatas. Even the leopard one will apply. Good luck.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
This is a tough one for me because I would keep the smaller one and nurse it until he's as healthy as his siblings. But, that's me. The biggest unknown is will this baby continue to not thrive. If so, you may be a fighting a losing battle even for an expert. On the other hand, I believe I know enough about baby sulcatas to help even a bad case of an abused sulcatas, and nurse it back to health. But, I'm not you and you're not me. The question is what does your heart and mind tell you to do?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is going to be personal preference. Depends on many factors about how you feel and what you are after in the long run. Some people feel sympathy and want to help the underdog. Other people want the most for their money and want the best chance of success they can get. How do you feel? Will you feel guilty for returning this little one? I wouldn't feel bad, but that's just me. Either way is justifiable depending on how you look at it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since I'm a cold-hearted person (according to my sister), I would definitely exchange the tortoise for a more healthy one. No one needs to go through doing the best they can only to have the tortoise die through no fault of their own.

Jesse977

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
My mind says yes and my heart says no. I think Ill take a day or so to decide.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I wouldn't do it. I would be the type of person that wants to take the time to rehabilitate this little guy and give it a real chance. Is the pet store owner going to take the time to get it healthy again and really work with it? My guess is no. Not like what you could do....

I've fostered 100's of kittens, no matter what was thrown at me I wanted to help and do the best for them. Just because one was sick and had a uri or a broken leg or just wasn't growing I wasn't going to take them back to the shelter cause I knew they would get put into the wrong hands or put to sleep. I had a few that had to be put down but the rest all made it. And it was because of me taking the time to bottle feed them every two hours and all the tlc they received when they were in my care.

It's up to you though, do you want to send this little guy back for the pet store owner to neglect it like before or do you want to give it your all and take the time to get this little guy healthy again????

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
emysemys said:
Since I'm a cold-hearted person (according to my sister), I would definitely exchange the tortoise for a more healthy one. No one needs to go through doing the best they can only to have the tortoise die through no fault of their own.

I agree (with the tortoise exchange, not with Yvonne being cold hearted, which she defintely is not). If I were you, I would definately exchange it. Babies are hard enough to keep alive. Its best to start with healthiest one possible to increase your chance of success.

Besides, you paid for a healthy tortoise and you should get it. You didn't pay to nurse a sick baby. The person you bought him from can do that. It sounds like they have many hatchlings and probably have more experience caring for them than you do. If this animal can be saved, then trust them to take care of it. Its not your job. There is absolutely no need to feel guilty about exchanging this animal.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Is this a pet store? Or is it a breeder (like Aldabraman) who will take the little guy back and do what's right to make him thrive?
I kinda think that would help me decide. Just remember we will support what ever you do, either way is right!
Good luck Nay

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
If you decide not to exchange it, talk to the seller about getting a partial refund, or if the animal fails to thrive (i.e. dies), get a full refund.

RuthJanice

5 Year Member
Southern Calif
Such a hard decision..... be me, I would keep it. I am a saver..... I would worry that it would not get the attention it needs if I sent it back --and I know that I would give 100% to get that baby where it should be. But you did pay for a healthy baby and it is totally understandable if you return it.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
If you aren't strapped for $$ , keep it and do your best . If it would end up dying and you couldn't afford another, than go exchange it. Good luck

abclements

5 Year Member
I would send him back. I had the same thing with my first tort. He was a Hermann's and had the umbilical scar. Nobody told me it was a bad thing, so I just assumed everything was fine. 2 months later he was having major health problems, I took him to the vet and the vet was very concerned about the scar since at that point he was 6 months old. 2 weeks later he died. Not saying it was the scar that killed him but the vet said that it was a external symptom telling us that something wasn't working on the inside :( . I don't mean to be a downer, but this is just my personal experience with that problem. It's hard to nurse a unhealthy tort back to health when you're still learning things about the species. Hope this helps with your decision.

Jesse977

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
After talking to a few people and reading some comments on this forum I think I am going to exchange him. Makes me a little sad but I think its the best thing to do, especially after reading abclements post. I'm going later today to take him back.

Clementine

5 Year Member
Southern, USA
I'd definitely exchange him. After realizing how delicate and sensitive Igloo can be to itty-bitty temp changes, going through pneumonia, winning his trust - there is no way I would invest that much time, money and care on a less than perfect (health wise) tort. You can call that sad or shallow or cold if you want - but this is how I see it: I would never take responsibility for something I wasn't confident I could care for properly. If you aren't an expert in reptiles (or have so much money you can have an expert at your beck and call) you shouldn't attempt it. This isn't a rescue situation. The little guy is still going to be fed and cared for - just not by you. Just my opinion. I would want your new tort experience to be an exciting one - not one filled with sadness and regret.

Jesse977

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
I finally went ahead and exchanged my sulcata tort. The breeder was cool and said he would take good care of him. I'm gonna call him once in a while and see how hes doing. My new tort seems perfectly healthy..Ill post pic soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.