Should I be force feeding my tortoise?

Melissa9987

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I have a Russian Tortoise who is under a year old. Three days ago she was diagnosed with a lower respiratory infection. She has been on antibiotics for three days and has also not eaten in three days. I was wondering how long until I should start force feeding her and how should it be done? I know there are risks involved. Today, I gave her a soak in 50% Pedialyte and 50% water, but she is very lethargic.

Additionally, I have her in a plastic container lined with paper towels with a UVB light and a heat lamp at 93/94 degrees and around high seventies/80 on the cool side. She is staying on the cool side. I am also keeping the heat lamp on at night because my house gets a little cold. She has a container of water, but she doesn't go near it on her own. Humidity is 30- 50%.

Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong or if I could be doing anything better! Any advice/input is greatly appreciated! I'm so worried about her. Thanks so much!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises can go quite some time without eating. I would be sure to keep her hydrated by soaking. I would also add baby food carrot purée to the soak water along with the pedialyte. The meds will also make them not want to eat.