Shell rot???

Darthmaulsmom

Location (City and/or State)
Chesapeake
ECFDC8D8-1245-4C7A-934E-3034C9FFC8DC.jpeg Does my little one have shell rot? When I first got him he had he had this around where he absorbed his egg sac and I thought it was just what happened when the shell was closing up but now it has spread! I took a super soft tooth brush to some of it and it brushed right off. Please help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yup. That's shell rot alright.

Clean it well with antibacterial soap, rinse. Allow to dry thoroughly then apply athlete foot cream. You may need to do this for about two weeks. In the meantime, change out the substrate and keep it drier. Sitting on wet urine/poop soaked substrate is usually what causes it. If you can figure out how to wet the underneath substrate while keeping the top layer dry, that would be the way to go.

Darthmaulsmom

Chesapeake
Yup. That's shell rot alright.

Clean it well with antibacterial soap, rinse. Allow to dry thoroughly then apply athlete foot cream. You may need to do this for about two weeks. In the meantime, change out the substrate and keep it drier. Sitting on wet urine/poop soaked substrate is usually what causes it. If you can figure out how to wet the underneath substrate while keeping the top layer dry, that would be the way to go.

Thank you for the information. I change out his substrate pretty regularly and I have the humidifier tube pointed directly under the hottest light to keep the substrate as dry as I possibly can. I guess it just wasn’t enough.