Shell rot?

nikki.hayessss

Hello! While I was bathing my Russian tortoise this morning I found something on his shell that is a bit odd. Is this shell rot? If so how do I treat it? Do I need to take my tortoise to the vet? Thanks for all you're help in advance! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465579714.226295.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

No, shell rot is usually on the bottom shell. Comes from sitting in wet substrate or urine, etc. When you see it on the top its usually something else. The two spots in the center of the scutes are old and not active and are what you see then a light or heat source has been too close to the top of the shell. Not saying that's what this is, but that's what it looks like. The one on the growth line is a little harder to diagnose from a picture without being able to pick your brain. You can follow it along to the right with your eye and it goes along the growth seam then up, then down at the next scute. At this time, because this one looks fresh, I'd keep it clean, scrub it lightly with a toothbrush, then dab on some Neosporin and rub it in real good.