Shell rot/fungus??

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilygj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
View attachment 38107

I'm worried about my little red foot- he has some white spots around his shell. They don't seem to be soft or deep but I am worried about him!

Would anyone be able to give me advice on what you think these white areas might be?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Looks like fungus to me. My little guy gets it sometimes. How I clear it up is rinse him off with warm water and use a toothbrush with Betadine Solution to clean off the affected areas. Then pat the tortoise down with a towel and put a 1% Clotrimazole cream (athletes foot cream) on the white spots. Either separate him from your current enclosure or make sure it is dry for a few days while receiving treatment. Repeat this daily until the spots are gone. It should only take a few days to a week.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Get some betadine/iodine from the pharmacy, dilute it 1:7 with water (7 parts water), scrub his shell down very good with that and a toothbrush. After that, apply some sort of athletes foot cream (clotrimazole needs to be active ingredient) to the spots until they go away, and then a day after. The chlorhexadine can be used, but I've never bothered. Sometimes just a couple scrubs with betadine is enough to clear it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.