Shell pyramiding?

Tort93

Location (City and/or State)
South Wales, UK
Hi All,

I need a bit of advice... I think my Marginated Alfie has a bit of pyramiding, I will attach photos below...

He had a bit of pyramiding when I first bought him last year. I was advised on this site to put him in an enclosed 'tank' which I did but he had to come out because he was getting too big! He has a mixed diet - I have been feeding him dandelion pellets over the winter due to shortage of weeds etc, but he also has dandelion leaves if I can find them, with the occasional dandelion flower, he has grape leaves when they come out, and he loves lambs lettuce and he has some of the weed tray I have been growing... All of which gets dusted with calcium every day or so. Humidity is generally at 50-70%, basking spot is at low to mid 30s, with a cold area of around 22 degrees.

Any advice on what I can do to help this?

Thanks in advance!

image.png image.png image.png

Kasia

Poland
Hi
Looks quite normal to me :) If You are concern about lack of hydration soak him every other day in lurk warm water for about 15-20 minutes. Calcium every day is bit too much - leave a cuttlebone inside his enclosure to chomp on and sprinkle calcium just 2-3 times a week.
You have a lovely little tort there take good care of him :)

Tort93

South Wales, UK
Hi
Looks quite normal to me :) If You are concern about lack of hydration soak him every other day in lurk warm water for about 15-20 minutes. Calcium every day is bit too much - leave a cuttlebone inside his enclosure to chomp on and sprinkle calcium just 2-3 times a week.
You have a lovely little tort there take good care of him :)
That has made me feel better! He has got cuttle bone, he loves it! And i dont give him calcium every day, most days, but ill cut back a bit.

Thanks for your help :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To stop pyramiding in progress you can soak daily, spray the carapace with water several times a day and keep the tortoise in a large closed chamber with higher humidity.

Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry. The drier it is, the worse it is.

You should only be using calcium about twice a week.

Dandelions are a good part of a varied diet, but it sounds like your diet might be too dandelion heavy. The is not part of your pyramiding problem though.