Shell Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Louisiana
Percival has a little bit of "pyramiding" which yall told me about, but I notice he also has white residue between his spurs and in some of the grooves of his shell.

Is there some kind of oil or topical lotion I can put on his shell to clean him up a bit and give some nutrients to his shell?

I realize this is a bit of a silly notion - keeping his shell looking pretty with oils, but I want to make sure his shell stays healthy.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
experienced tortoise owners will tell you to put nothing on the shell. if he's dirty, try some warm water and a light scrubbing. the pyramiding (as i understand it) can only be slightly improved by a healthy diet.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Take some warm water and a toothbrush to clean the shell, you should also put him a tub with warm water for soaks a few times a week, but don't put any oils or creams on his shell. The white between his scutes could be new shell growth. As for supplements calcium and a multivitamin repcal has good vitamins or you can try minerall 1, I use both and rotate them, a good diet of grasses, hay, weeds, and small amounts of greens will make up a good diet for your guy. A good reference for sulcatas is... http://web.archive.org/web/20070420173151/http://www.sulcata-station.org/

SULCATACRAZY

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sunny So Cal, USA
speaking of shell care... what do you guys do for the big guys? I cant soak mine, he's about 85 lbs. His shell looks dry looking. I do wash and scrub him with the hose weekly, and now that its warming up, he's coming out of his dog house more (there goes the lawn! LOL) Once it really warms up, i'll fill up his "watering hole again" he doesnt really soak in it much, drinks from it more.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Does Turquoise like the sprinklers? As it gets warmer turn on the sprinklers for him to enjoy a nice cool shower in the hot sumertime. I think Sullys like to be dusty and dirty by nature :p

SULCATACRAZY

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sunny So Cal, USA
yes, if he's up in time, they come on at about 9am (in the summer he's outta bed for sure by then)

i agree about them liking to be dry and dirty... he does all he can to get away from the hose!

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
Hey guys problems with Percy's shell seem to be uncovering themselves. I think the grooves and ridges in his shell are getting bigger.

He has pyramiding, and if you go "up" the pyramid he has grooves and gaps that seem to be getting wider and deeper.

I do give him calcium, but only once a week under the advice of this forum since he has pyramiding. I only feed him grass and hay and hibiscus leaves and flower - he is especially loving clovers.

His shell seems strong and not soft at all - should I be worried about these ridges - these grooves? Is this a lasting effect of pyramiding or am I doing something to make it worse?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
janiedough, can you post a pic of these areas? Fast growth can cause increased grooves and ridges in his shell. High humidity could cause fungus, but a pic will give us a better look.

Status
Not open for further replies.